Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted: Dead or Alive! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Will trade....... (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18400)

jeffyjeep 03-26-2020 12:50 PM

Will trade.......

One (1) full 3.5 oz. jar of Aerogloss Sanding Sealer for one (1) full 1.0 oz bottle of GENUINE Tenax7r.

Serious inquiries only, please.

Thanks!

ghrocketman 03-26-2020 01:06 PM

Unfortunately I have wayyyyyyyyy too much Aero Gloss Sanding Sealer and not nearly enough Tenax 7R.
Down to two bottles.
MicroMark "Same Stuff" is EXACTLY the same cement. it is 100% Methylene Chloride.
So is Plastruct Bondene. Really.
Pick up either of those and fill your empty Tenax bottle.

About the only thing I will trade a bottle of Tenax old stock for is a 8oz or above full or partial good CAN of Aero Gloss Cessna Green or Curtiss Blue. Those are missing from my collection.

jeffyjeep 03-26-2020 01:18 PM

I didn't know that! Thanks for the info.

jeffyjeep 03-26-2020 01:20 PM

I just checked my shelf. I have a FULL bottle of Plastruct Bondene. (yay!)

ghrocketman 03-26-2020 01:27 PM

There ya go...back in business.

jeffyjeep 03-27-2020 06:48 AM

My bottle of Plastruct Bondene is probably 10+ years old. It still smells “bright”, but does it ever expire?

ghrocketman 03-27-2020 07:20 AM

No. It doesn't "expire".
The only way it could would be to evaporate.

LeeR 03-27-2020 11:43 AM

Yesterday I realized just how strong the sanding sealers really are. I'm using Brodak now, and think its pretty comparable to Aerogloss, which I haven’t used (or seen in hobby stores here) for years.

Normally I’m sealing some balsa fins on a relatively small rocket. Or maybe just a nose cone. The jar is open a few minutes, and the amount brushed on is pretty small. I’ve never noticed a lingering smell when I return to my basement rocket room. Yesterday I applied sanding sealer to an Estes Phoenix and an upscale Skyhook (using 2.5” Panavia, with replacement basswood fins). That is a LOT of surface area! I used a wide brush, so the coats went on quickly, and the jar wasn’t open very long, so I didn’t really notice the smell. But when I went back to my rocket room later, I was surprised by the overwhelming smell. I opened the adjoining wood shop’s window, moved the rockets into the wood shop next to the window, and ran a house fan pointed outside to clear the air. The shop has doors to close it off, and the smell was gone when I checked a few hours later.

I need to change my habits. I’ll be doing sealing outside, or out in the garage, for anything large. If I seal anything small inside, I’ll start using the wood shop with fan running, and I’ll make sure I close the shop doors.

Jerry Irvine 03-27-2020 06:36 PM

Based on my experience inhaling fumes for 20 years starting as a minor, I declare you all drug dealers.

ghrocketman 03-27-2020 06:50 PM

That's a BIT harsh, Jerry.
I prefer to call it a "side effect" of a legal product.