Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Earliest Akela-1 reference (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=7328)

blackshire 07-08-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I don't know if you do FaceBook or not but Rick is on FB. You could reach him that way.
Scott, I don't do FaceBook (I am as bemused by it and Twitter as Betty White is, as Fred posted above), but I do have a FaceBook account because the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre posts many of their photographs on their FaceBook page. I'll look up Rick Piester on there--thank you for the suggestion! Another funny thing I found was that in the next issue of "Boys' Life" (October 1973), Pedro the Mail Burro referred to the N.R.A. ("National Rocketry Association") in responses to letters from Scouts about the Akela-1 article in the previous issue--are there any N.R.A. members here? :-)

Gus 07-10-2010 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
It could be hanging in one of the Hobby Bench stores, I read somwhere that Rick built most of the old rockets that are there.
I was just at a rocket launch with Bill Stine and spent a wonderful hour reminiscing about a number of things including the hobby stores we used to ride our bikes to while we were each growing up in Phoenix.

Bill told me he was employed at the first Hobby Bench store (at 17th Ave.) even before it opened and one of his duties was to build many of the rockets that still hang from the ceiling there. He said he couldn't absolutely recall but he was pretty sure he built the Skylab.

blackshire 07-10-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I was just at a rocket launch with Bill Stine and spent a wonderful hour reminiscing about a number of things including the hobby stores we used to ride our bikes to while we were each growing up in Phoenix.

Bill told me he was employed at the first Hobby Bench store (at 17th Ave.) even before it opened and one of his duties was to build many of the rockets that still hang from the ceiling there. He said he couldn't absolutely recall but he was pretty sure he built the Skylab.
Purty! I wonder if he built the Starship Vega as well?

jdbectec 07-11-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus

Now that you mention that, I believe I may have been confused. I believe it was Bill Stine and not Rick Piester who built most of the hobby bench models. I may have confused the two famous sons of two legends.

blackshire 07-11-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
Now that you mention that, I believe I may have been confused. I believe it was Bill Stine and not Rick Piester who built most of the hobby bench models. I may have confused the two famous sons of two legends.
That's perfectly all right, Jeffrey--your error prompted me to contact Rick Piester, who kindly e-mailed me several old Akela-1 photographs and allowed me to share them here on YORF (see the thread "Early Akela-1 photos" here: http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showt...95299#post95299 ). Corresponding with both of them--which I now have--is, for me (to put it in human terms), like having two sons of Zeus and Poseidon drop by to chat over baklava and ambrosia--WOW!

GregGleason 07-14-2010 04:10 PM

Trivia question (you don't have to be a Cub Scout):

Where does the name Akela come from?

Greg

blackshire 07-14-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
Trivia question (you don't have to be a Cub Scout):

Where does the name Akela come from?

Greg
The Akela camp (the graduation from Cub Scout to Boy Scout). I'm not sure, but I think the name is from a character in Rudyard Kipling's "The Jungle Book."

GregGleason 07-14-2010 04:46 PM

We have a winner!

Snip from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jungle_Book

Quote:
The Jungle Book, because of its moral tone, came to be used as a motivational book by the Cub Scouts, a junior element of the Scouting movement. This use of the book's universe was approved by Kipling after a direct petition of Robert Baden-Powell, founder of the Scouting movement, who had originally asked for the author's permission for the use of the Memory Game from Kim in his scheme to develop the morale and fitness of working-class youths in cities. Akela, the head wolf in The Jungle Book, has become a senior figure in the movement, the name being traditionally adopted by the leader of each Cub Scout pack.

As mentioned above, Akela is a wolf and leader of the wolf pack in Kipling's story.

In my son's Cub Scout book (WEBELO), they just say that Akela means "leader".

Greg

stefanj 07-14-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
In my son's Cub Scout book (WEBELO), they just say that Akela means "leader".

They dropped the wolf connection after dens of cub scouts went running about on all fours and taking down deer.

But seriously:

If anyone wants my original Akela 8-pack decal sheet, I'll be happy to send it to you if you make a $10 donation to the NAR.

GregGleason 07-14-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj

... If anyone wants my original Akela 8-pack decal sheet, I'll be happy to send it to you if you make a $10 donation to the NAR.

That's a very nice deal.

Any takers?

Greg