Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Mission Control (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   R.I.P. Alien Explorer at NARAM 61 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18013)

jeffyjeep 08-01-2019 10:17 AM

R.I.P. Alien Explorer at NARAM 61

1 Attachment(s)
Well, my scratch-built Alien Explorer (that had it's maiden launch at ECOF in 2014) met it's fate at NARAM 61 on Sunday. :(

On a C6-5 my biggest fear was that it would land in the (too close) cornfield. Instead it landed on the tarmac and was dragged by the parachute until it was beaten to death.

I saved only the BNC50-XP cone.

5x7 08-01-2019 03:02 PM

That’s terrible I’m so sorry. It looked really nice.

Scott_650 08-01-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Well, my scratch-built Alien Explorer (that had it's maiden launch at ECOF in 2014) met it's fate at NARAM 61 on Sunday. :(

On a C6-5 my biggest fear was that it would land in the (too close) cornfield. Instead it landed on the tarmac and was dragged by the parachute until it was beaten to death.

Sorry about your rocket! I’m I the only one who thought the sport range setup left a bit to be desired at NARAM? All that open, grassy territory and we launched on an asphalt flight line with corn and soybean fields down wind.

jeffyjeep 08-01-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
Sorry about your rocket! I’m I the only one who thought the sport range setup left a bit to be desired at NARAM? All that open, grassy territory and we launched on an asphalt flight line with corn and soybean fields down wind.

Yeah, the sport range we were allotted was rather lame. Orville Redenbacher claimed a lot of rockets.

BEC 08-02-2019 05:25 AM

As you’d expect there has been much discussion about this. There is a story of a prior big event (an NSL?) where the last flight of the day landed on the high tension power lines to the west, causing a power outage in the area and the strong desire to never have that happen again. (Incidentally a similar incident involving power lines is why the Boeing Employees RC club lost its last field and now no longer exists.)

The winds shifted after Monday’s blow out (and an inch of rain Monday night) and were much better Tuesday and on. I got several flights in off the sport range on Tuesday without going into the corn or the soybeans.

Of course with the contest range sited further south and west corn hasn’t been an issue for contest flights these last few days.

Jeffy, I’m sorry I missed you.

jeffyjeep 08-02-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

Likewise. Maybe next time.

Blushingmule 08-02-2019 01:01 PM

Jeff,
That's a shame!

How was the sport crowd?

Wanted to go, but household things got in the way...

Bob
p.s. which brand/shade of green paint is that?

tbzep 08-02-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep

I bet you felt.....alienated. :rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-04-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
As you’d expect there has been much discussion about this. There is a story of a prior big event (an NSL?) where the last flight of the day landed on the high tension power lines to the west, causing a power outage in the area and the strong desire to never have that happen again. (Incidentally a similar incident involving power lines is why the Boeing Employees RC club lost its last field and now no longer exists.)

The winds shifted after Monday’s blow out (and an inch of rain Monday night) and were much better Tuesday and on. I got several flights in off the sport range on Tuesday without going into the corn or the soybeans.

Of course with the contest range sited further south and west corn hasn’t been an issue for contest flights these last few days.

I think the NSL was in 2007. I have a picture of the rocket draped across the wires somewhere, but I can't locate it. I thought I was going to get a day of flying in since Muncie is only a two hour trip, but between my new shift at work and things with my Mom going badly, I never really got a day when I could justify four hours of driving. I tried to console myself by launching a few at B6-4 Field on Friday. Back in the winter they'd taken down many of the trees that surrounded the field. First flight was an Estes Patriot on a B6-4. It's now hanging in one of the trees they left. :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :chuckle:

LeeR 08-04-2019 01:06 PM

Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your loss of the Alien Explorer. Those types of losses are aggravating. Hitting the asphalt is one thing, but then to be dragged to destruction is so wrong!

We used to fly in a huge empty field, and launched off the narrow paved road leading into the middle of the field. I’m sure I hold the record for the greatest number of rockets that just missed the soft earth and smacked into the asphalt.