Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Chevette (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10663)

ghrocketman 02-05-2012 05:59 PM

SOME of us DO have a direct line into the auto manufacturers ! :)
If the request comes from a big enough customer I engineer custom non-production features for one of them...

Cohetero-negro 02-05-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
SOME of us DO have a direct line into the auto manufacturers ! :)
If the request comes from a big enough customer I engineer custom non-production features for one of them...

Yes yes, but I am a nobody, a peon, yet I can tug at John Boren's leg and suggest things :) Can't do that to a billion dollar manufacture :(

J

chrism 02-05-2012 07:40 PM

I say bring back the Chevette!!

Doug Sams 02-05-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
I say bring back the Chevette!!
The only good thing that can be said about that tu*d is that it made us forget about the Vega.

Doug

chrism 02-05-2012 07:50 PM

Now come on Doug. You would really want one if it came with a vinyl roof anf fake wood grain side panels!!

Doug Sams 02-05-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:
Now come on Doug. You would really want one if it came with a vinyl roof anf fake wood grain side panels!!
Chevy has done well leveraging CHEV - eg, Chevelle - and VETTE - eg, Corvette. But when they put the two together to make Chevette, it was a marriage made in Hades.

I had a colleague in St Louis who told tales of woe about his Chevette. He said it had a hard time making highway speeds - and this was back in the days of 55mph speed limits :) He referred to it as the Shove-it. He said that was about the only way to get it going quickly - shove it :)

Doug

chrism 02-05-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Chevy has done well leveraging CHEV - eg, Chevelle - and VETTE - eg, Corvette. But when they put the two together to make Chevette, it was a marriage made in Hades.

I had a colleague in St Louis who told tales of woe about his Chevette. He said it had a hard time making highway speeds - and this was back in the days of 55mph speed limits :) He referred to it as the Shove-it. He said that was about the only way to get it going quickly - shove it :)

Doug

My friend had one. Your assessment is dead on!

ghrocketman 02-05-2012 09:14 PM

THEE ONLY car built by Chevrolet that was worse than the Chevette was the 3-cylinder 1.0L Chevy Sprint/Geo Metro.
All three were total POS turds that were good for nuthin' but running off cliffs ala Wile E. Coyote style. Total embarassment to the Chevy name.

tbzep 02-05-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
THEE ONLY car built by Chevrolet that was worse than the Chevette was the 3-cylinder 1.0L Chevy Sprint/Geo Metro.

I saw a dog catch one of those and bury it. I had always wondered what dogs would do if they actually caught a car. <insert Steven Wright face>

luke strawwalker 02-05-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:
My friend had one. Your assessment is dead on!

My dad bought a used one one time and got SO disgusted with it he took it back to the dealer and threw the keys on the desk and walked out...

Went and bought a Ford Fiesta... TERRIFIC cars! (the GERMAN Ford Fiesta back in the early 80's).

Later! OL JR :)

PS. The Chevette was their answer to the equally if not surpassingly lousy Ford Pinto... and mom had a Plymouth Horizon, which was ALMOST as lousy as the Chevette by the end...

" A turd by any other name... " :chuckle: