Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Plans & Publications (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bomar Alpha-B (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18055)

Gus 09-03-2019 07:39 PM

Bomar Alpha-B

6 Attachment(s)
This one is REALLY rare! As far as I can find, there are no instructions available for any of the Bomar kits online. Only catalog on Ninfinger is from 1969.

Here are the instructions and parts photos.

Body tube is same as Centuri ST-7.

Enjoy!

Gus 09-03-2019 07:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Parts photos

Gus 09-03-2019 07:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More parts photos.

Ltvscout 09-03-2019 09:19 PM

Awesome! Thanks, Steve!

tbzep 09-03-2019 09:29 PM

How old is your ruler?

Gus 09-03-2019 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
How old is your ruler?
LOL, I know. I love that silly ruler. Definitely 60's but not too rare. Cheap enough on Ebay. Just do a search for "astronaut ruler."

hcmbanjo 09-04-2019 11:00 AM

Step 1 "Emplacing" the engine block.
I looked it up. Emplacing: verb, to put in place or position.
Step 2 "Securing" the engine block.
I had to read step 2 twice, never saw instructions that had you apply more glue to the bottom of the engine block.

The streamer looks like old, heavier picnic table cover material.

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-04-2019 11:08 AM

I played guess-your-best using an old catalog scan a couple of years back and built this one. It made it two flights before becoming an ornament in the B6-4 Field Collection. https://www.rocketreviews.com/alpha...-1969-1971.html

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-04-2019 11:25 AM

Thanks for posting this, Steve. I'm obviously ready to try my hand at another Alpha-B, maybe an upscale now that I have real fin patterns. I also have the parts to make a cheap and dirty copy of the Alpha-1.

Gus 09-04-2019 11:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
Step 1 "Emplacing" the engine block.
I looked it up. Emplacing: verb, to put in place or position.
Step 2 "Securing" the engine block.
I had to read step 2 twice, never saw instructions that had you apply more glue to the bottom of the engine block.

The streamer looks like old, heavier picnic table cover material.

Chris,

It's no wonder we're friends, LOL. I loved the use of the word "emplacing" as well. I think you are supposed to lift your pinkie finger on the hand doing the emplacing while accomplishing the task. Very fancy rocket building. :)

And you are right, the streamer has a slightly rough texture, could be picnic table cover.

I also really like the pattern included in the instructions for a "streamer/parachute protector." It says you can cut these out of flameproofed crepe paper and use them instead of wadding. The protector pattern is the same as what came in the first Model Missiles kits before wadding, as we know it, was invented. The shock cord attachment method is also similar to the Model Missiles kits using a slit in the side of the tube. But the Bo-Mar instructions suggest you insert it in the reverse direction, so the free end is at the top. Not sure that was a good suggestion. But clearly this model owes a lot to the original Model Missiles kits.

Gus 09-04-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Thanks for posting this, Steve. I'm obviously ready to try my hand at another Alpha-B, maybe an upscale now that I have real fin patterns. I also have the parts to make a cheap and dirty copy of the Alpha-1.
Bill,

In researching whether these plans were already online I came across your thread about your Bomar Spartan build. Very nice!

Gus 09-04-2019 11:52 AM

Does anyone know anything about the history of Bo-Mar?

Based in Liverpool, New York, unknown if there were any catalogs other than 1969.

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-04-2019 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Bill,

In researching whether these plans were already online I came across your thread about your Bomar Spartan build. Very nice!

Which one? I built three. The first was a little off, the second was more to the scale I was hoping for, and the third was an upscale. :D

Gus 09-04-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:
Which one? I built three. The first was a little off, the second was more to the scale I was hoping for, and the third was an upscale. :D

Bill,

Why the interest in the Bo-Mar kits? Had you ever built one of the original kits?

Steve

hcmbanjo 09-04-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I also really like the pattern included in the instructions for a "streamer/parachute protector." It says you can cut these out of flameproofed crepe paper and use them instead of wadding. The protector pattern is the same as what came in the first Model Missiles kits before wadding, as we know it, was invented. The shock cord attachment method is also similar to the Model Missiles kits using a slit in the side of the tube. But the Bo-Mar instructions suggest you insert it in the reverse direction, so the free end is at the top. Not sure that was a good suggestion. But clearly this model owes a lot to the original Model Missiles kits.

I'd be interesting in trying the old style streamer parachute protector as I use flameproof crepe paper for wadding now. I'd probably make two per flight, set one inside the another.
Flameproof crepe paper works great, only the bottom piece is charred. The other pieces are picked up and re-used.

I always HATED the old slit and glue shock cord method. What a pain to fish the shock cord through the slits. Very unsightly.

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-04-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Bill,

Why the interest in the Bo-Mar kits? Had you ever built one of the original kits?

Steve

No, I didn't start flying until 1977. I was bored and started looking for different builds that I could fake based on catalog information. I think I was able to put together a couple of Coaster kits, a few from RDC, one from AMROCS, and a few Kopter and MRI birds. I combed the old issues of Model Rocketry magazine, the Estes and Centuri design winners, and any stray plans that looked interesting, or especially, seldom seen.

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-04-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Awesome! Thanks, Steve!

Any timeframe as to when you might add some more plans, Scott? :rolleyes: :cool:

Ltvscout 09-04-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:
Any timeframe as to when you might add some more plans, Scott? :rolleyes: :cool:

I only have two to post that were recently sent to me by a member. The Centuri Astro-1 and Centuri Egg Crate.

I rely on members to send stuff to me or post directly here like Steve did.

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-05-2019 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I only have two to post that were recently sent to me by a member. The Centuri Astro-1 and Centuri Egg Crate.

I rely on members to send stuff to me or post directly here like Steve did.

I was hoping you were still sitting on a goldmine. ;)

Rocketcrab 09-07-2019 01:49 PM

I recall seeing adds for Bomar in the old "Model Rocketry" magazine from the late 60's and early 70's. Thanks for posting the plans! Any idea on the length of the body tube?

Rocketcrab 09-11-2019 08:47 PM

OK, looking at the photo with the ruler, I'm thinking @ 8 inches.

Chas Russell 09-11-2019 08:56 PM

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca.../69bomar14.html

Their 1969 catalog list a 9" body tube and an 18". I would imagine that they used the 9" for that kit. I have a Bomar catalog, but never purchased from them.

Chas

Gus 09-11-2019 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcrab
OK, looking at the photo with the ruler, I'm thinking @ 8 inches.
As per the photo below, tube is 9 inches.

Rocketcrab 09-13-2019 12:29 PM

Thanks gentlemen!!

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-13-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca.../69bomar14.html

Their 1969 catalog list a 9" body tube and an 18". I would imagine that they used the 9" for that kit. I have a Bomar catalog, but never purchased from them.

Chas

Chas, the one we have scans for is a little rough. Is yours an improvement or is it just what the limitations of the times have wrought?