Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Super Sky Hook (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18834)

LeeR 09-13-2020 08:58 PM

Super Sky Hook

1 Attachment(s)
My Super Sky Hook is basically done. I’m awaiting the reopening of Stickershock so I can get a name decal made.

This is made from 2.5” parts, scavenged from a Panavia kit. Fins are 1/8” basswood. I did add a section of body tube to get it to scale length.

It sits next to a Semroc Sky Hook II, a moderate upscale using ST-10 tube (~ 1” dia.).

5x7 09-13-2020 09:25 PM

Awesome!

erik442 09-13-2020 09:46 PM

+1!

BEC 09-13-2020 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Neat. My upscale Nova Payloader was mostly Partizon parts (save for the fins and the clear payload tube). Those PSII builders’ kits made great parts donors.

Depending on how soon Mark may get back to vinyl making and how much of a hurry you might be in, Callie at callie-graphics.com in Magdalena NM could help you out. She did my Nova Payloader graphics (and some other things for me). I know Mark does great work and he may want to just throw himself back into it after Marian’s passing, so this suggestion is not to take any work away from him if he wants to do it.

LeeR 09-13-2020 11:02 PM

Thanks guys!

Bernard,
Thank you for the suggestion. With us being on a fire ban, all launches have been or will be cancelled for the rest of the season. Looks like I can wait awhile, but its good to have an alternate supplier if needed.

I am sorry I missed out on most of the PSII builders kits, and really sorry I didn’t get more Panavias when I ordered the one used here. I have bought 3” and 4” nose cones for future projects. I’ll likely make the plywood centering rings on my lathe.

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-14-2020 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
My Super Sky Hook is basically done. I’m awaiting the reopening of Stickershock so I can get a name decal made.

This is made from 2.5” parts, scavenged from a Panavia kit. Fins are 1/8” basswood. I did add a section of body tube to get it to scale length.

It sits next to a Semroc Sky Hook II, a moderate upscale using ST-10 tube (~ 1” dia.).

Love family pics. Now you need to get working on BT-5 and BT-30 versions. :cool:

jeffyjeep 09-14-2020 08:04 AM

The Sky Hook (regular size) was my very first model rocket--probably around 1968.

jetlag 09-14-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
The Sky Hook (regular size) was my very first model rocket--probably around 1968.

Mine, too! Came to me in a box with a '68 catalogue and a Sprite.
Wow, that was a looong time ago! I'll be 60 shortly...

LeeR 09-14-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Love family pics. Now you need to get working on BT-5 and BT-30 versions. :cool:

I could follow your lead, and also do BT-55, 60, 70, 80, 3”, and a Goony version. That would be about a 1/3 the size of your Max family. :)

LeeR 09-14-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep

jeffyjeep, and jetlag too,

A Sky Hook should have been my first. I chose the Aerobee 300. That was a big mistake for a 12 year-old kid! I built the Drifter after that — not too bad, I even did OK with the paper tailcone.

I remember my Sprite build well. I built it on our coffee table while my dad and I watched a Gemini-Titan launch.