Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Tomahawk paint questions (Ute Tomahawk) (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17717)

aeppel_cpm 02-09-2019 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
High Visibility Dave provided a little more info on The Forum That Shall Not Be Named. Including this:

Actually, I’m only assuming that EZ2C means highly visible. It’s possible that he’s claiming to have zero rest mass, so he can accelerate to the speed of light.

MarkB. 03-03-2019 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Comrades:

Attached is a drawing I created using the artwork in an earlier post. It would be a 1/10 scale Ute. The transition seems to be similiar in shape to a Semroc Nike-Tomahawk but it would need the larger end resized to fit a Series 15/BT-58 body tube. If the transition was drilled out for a BT-50 tube, then staging would be possible. As scale staging projects go, this would seem like a good choice.

As noted on the drawing, the Semroc I.Q.S.Y. Tomahawk could be used as a starting point for the second stage.

The boattail could be paper or balsa. Paper would seem to be preferable if you build as a two-stage.

I'd build it. (if someone would turn the transition . . . .)

Ez2cDave 03-06-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNoir
The Ute-Tomahawk was indeed flown by the Bundick-Justis Team at NARAM-17 in Orlando. It was built by my teammate, Rob Justis. His dad got drawings and photo of the prototype for us. Sadly, I don't have that data, but will check with Rob to see if he does.

Mark,

Got my "fingers crossed", in hopes that the data is still available . . .

GuyNoir 03-07-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
Got my "fingers crossed", in hopes that the data is still available . . .

Sorry. Nothing to report.

aeppel_cpm 03-27-2019 07:33 PM

This paint job fought me every step of the way. I’m calling it done.
So here’s my fanciful take on a Ute Tomahawk.
1/5 scale, roughly. 38mm to 29mm. Kitbashed from a Big Daddy, a Ventris, and an Argent.

erik442 03-28-2019 06:59 PM

It was definitely worth the trouble. That really looks super!
I'm having a tough paint week too. :)

ghrocketman 03-29-2019 09:35 AM

Looks great !
I'd buy that as a kit.

aeppel_cpm 03-29-2019 09:52 AM

We'll see how it flies.

Here's an example of the painting problems.
Bad paint day. by Charles McGonegal, on Flickr

I guess I still need to work on my surface prep. The payload went better.

I don't have a closeup on the fins - but the leading edges did the same thing. I sanded them to a really sharp leading edge, and then CA coated that edge to help (I hope) avoid chipping. But Rusto Painters Touch just doesn't want to stick to the CA.

ghrocketman 03-29-2019 11:11 AM

I never have paint problems on models when using "Hobby Brand" paints such as Testors, Tamiya, Pactra, Brodak, Sig, etc. I only have issues when using "Hardware store" brands such as Krylon, Rust-Oleum, Wal-Mutt Cheap-O stuff, etc.

Ez2cDave 03-31-2019 01:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
3) Does anyone have photos of a Tomahawk with the 12" payload bay?

Yes . . .

Note the different fins.

Dave F.