Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cheap Motors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3683)

Ltvscout 08-09-2008 08:41 AM

Cheap Motors

I recommend everyone stop in the Target stores that are local to you. They've been clearing out Estes motors. Look in the toy department on the end caps with a Clearance sign at the top. I've found numerous B6-4's and C6-5's for $1.24/pack.

Mark II 08-10-2008 01:29 AM

Thanks for the tip, Scott!

Just my luck - my local Target is still being built, and won't be opening for another month or so. :( Hmmm, I wonder if it will have Estes motors in stock and marked for "Clearance" when it does... :rolleyes: :p You can bet that I'll be looking during my first shopping trip there.

Mark \\

JRThro 08-10-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I recommend everyone stop in the Target stores that are local to you. They've been clearing out Estes motors. Look in the toy department on the end caps with a Clearance sign at the top. I've found numerous B6-4's and C6-5's for $1.24/pack.

Yep, there's an entire fairly long thread at TRF about this topic, here:
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=46673

Back in early July, I bought 4 packs of B6-4's and 4 packs of C6-5's for $2.48 each. Then in mid-July, I bought 4 (or maybe 8) more for $2.48 each. Then in early August, I happened to be at the Target in Memorial City Mall in Houston, and they had 6 packs of B6-4's on clearance for $1.24 each, so I bought them. And at another store last week, I managed to pick up 9 packs of C6-5's and 7 packs of B6-4's for $1.24 each.

I think I'm done for now. Unless I stumble across more motors on clearance somewhere, of course.

~20 packs of B6-4's and ~22 packs of C6-5's could last me for a while.

Solomoriah 08-10-2008 11:04 PM

I noticed at my local Wal-Mart that the price tag for the engines was gone from the shelf; and of the three starter sets, one, the Astrobeam, had been marked down with a red clearance tag. On a hunch, I scanned the engines. $4.00 per pack. I bought almost all of them: one each A10-3T and A8-3, four each C6-5, three each C6-7. I left the three packs of C6-3 (which I don't use all that much) on the shelf; perhaps they will drop the price on them even more.

DaveR 08-11-2008 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
I noticed at my local Wal-Mart that the price tag for the engines was gone from the shelf; and of the three starter sets, one, the Astrobeam, had been marked down with a red clearance tag. On a hunch, I scanned the engines. $4.00 per pack. I bought almost all of them: one each A10-3T and A8-3, four each C6-5, three each C6-7. I left the three packs of C6-3 (which I don't use all that much) on the shelf; perhaps they will drop the price on them even more.

Same here, I was in the local WM Saturday and all their engines were $4.00 and the A10-P were $3.00. All the starter sets were marked down as well. I guess they're getting ready for Christmas. However, I'll be heading by Target today to check on that much better $1.24 deal, provided my local rocketry shopping rival hasn't cleaned them out yet.

JRThro 08-11-2008 09:02 AM

Yesterday I remembered another Target store I should check for motors on clearance, so I may be doing that at lunchtime today.

barone 08-11-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR
Same here, I was in the local WM Saturday and all their engines were $4.00 and the A10-P were $3.00. All the starter sets were marked down as well. I guess they're getting ready for Christmas. However, I'll be heading by Target today to check on that much better $1.24 deal, provided my local rocketry shopping rival hasn't cleaned them out yet.

LOL....tried but they didn't have any. Only hit the one at Wolfchase though...... :rolleyes:

Peartree 08-11-2008 01:26 PM

I can never find these super duper deals on motors. :(

I did find some major clearance stuff at Hobby Lobby last week though. :)

JRThro 08-11-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Yesterday I remembered another Target store I should check for motors on clearance, so I may be doing that at lunchtime today.

I found 3 three-packs of B6-4's, but I had to root through big cardboard boxes of clearance toys to find them. I had almost given up, but then I saw the first pack, so of course I *had* to keep looking.
:rolleyes:

DaveR 08-11-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
LOL....tried but they didn't have any. Only hit the one at Wolfchase though...... :rolleyes:

You would post this while I was at lunch. Your right, Wolfchase doesn't have any. I apologize for the cussing you took. :o
Target on Poplar doesn't have any either. :(