Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Estes Summer of Pro Series II (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=21676)

Earl 05-23-2023 07:16 PM

Estes Summer of Pro Series II

Received the following email text from Estes this afternoon. Others I am sure received it also.

PRO SERIES SNEEK PEEK

We are so excited to announce the Summer of Pro Series! We will have a bunch of products coming out this summer to support 29mm fans. Stay tuned because we are kicking it off next week with a great one! Get ready to launch this rocket and others this summer by grabbing some Estes engines below.

=========================

No actual Pro Series rockets were mentioned, new or old, but sounds like some new ones will be released.

Anyone know?

Earl

lawndart 05-23-2023 08:22 PM

Sounds like someone wants to sell some 29mm engines. I’m guessing we’ll see the So Long available next week.

Scott_650 05-23-2023 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Received the following email text from Estes this afternoon. Others I am sure received it also.

PRO SERIES SNEEK PEEK

We are so excited to announce the Summer of Pro Series! We will have a bunch of products coming out this summer to support 29mm fans. Stay tuned because we are kicking it off next week with a great one! Get ready to launch this rocket and others this summer by grabbing some Estes engines below.

=========================

No actual Pro Series rockets were mentioned, new or old, but sounds like some new ones will be released.

Anyone know?

Earl

The picture on the Estes company FB page shows the So Long in silhouette so I’d guess that’s our first release.

ghrocketman 05-24-2023 09:53 AM

I plan to get that Great Goblin and Black Brant XII as soon as available.

Earl 05-24-2023 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

Yeah, the Black Brant looks like a decent scale kit. I'd like to see a few more details about it, but it certainly looks interesting.

Earl

astronwolf 05-24-2023 04:42 PM

Quote:

...from A.C.Supply....

SolarYellow 05-24-2023 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
Performance Hobbies has the new PSII Kits listed with prices.

So Long (2 Stage) $39.99

Black Brant XII $76.99

Great Goblin $64.99

The PSII So Long is showing that you can Add to Cart

I got in on the $12.75 DBRM deal April 1, so not likely to spend another $fitty for the Gobby kit. Would be cool if it has the printed nylon black parachute with Goblin on it that has been seen somewhere. If it's printed plastic like the DBRM, major skip.

SolarYellow 05-24-2023 06:04 PM

Yeah, I have 3-inch tubing, several DBRM nose cones, a CNC router and laser printer decal paper. I'm good. In fact, I'm planning to print a geometrically accurate Goblin cone that's a true upscale of the latest PNC-55AO cone instead of using the DBRM cone. And will probably use the router to airfoil fin cores that will get glassed and bagged. And 38mm MMT. Sooo... I'm not exactly the target audience for the expected Estes kit anyway.

jeffyjeep 05-24-2023 07:20 PM

Quote:

Same here.

SolarYellow 05-25-2023 10:36 AM

Quote:
I remember seeing a picture of a 4” diameter Goblin with a Estes decal on it and I’m thinking it was John Boren that built it and launched it at NARAM-60 in 2018. Maybe a prototype of an upcoming kit I was thinking at the time. Hoping John sees this post and comments about it, shares some pictures, etc. of it.

The 4-inch nose cone for the Mega Max is available as a part on the site currently, along with some (slotted for three fins) 4-inch BT. Could do a Goblin from it if you were motivated.

ETA
Fin dims are here: https://www.oldrocketforum.com/show...58&postcount=33

Joe Wooten 05-25-2023 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndart
Sounds like someone wants to sell some 29mm engines. I’m guessing we’ll see the So Long available next week.

That's the one I want to get.

Scott_650 05-26-2023 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndart

The So Long is on the Estes site now

https://estesrockets.com/products/so-long

Looks like the streamers are plastic surveyor’s tape, which was probably inevitable but still disappointing but you do appear to get a nice looking decal set.

frognbuff 05-26-2023 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
The So Long is on the Estes site now

https://estesrockets.com/products/so-long

Looks like the streamers are plastic surveyor’s tape, which was probably inevitable but still disappointing but you do appear to get a nice looking decal set.

I get a 404 error now.

tdracer 05-26-2023 04:15 PM

I just checked the 'coming soon' category at AC Supply (as well as the PS II listings) and none of those show (yet).

stefanj 05-27-2023 09:51 AM

Anyone have any idea how the stages of the Too Long are coupled? Are the motors taped together?

Joe Wooten 05-27-2023 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Anyone have any idea how the stages of the Too Long are coupled? Are the motors taped together?

It looks to me like they are pop-n-go couplers. But that is a guess

Scott_650 05-27-2023 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj

Before Estes realized the mistake and took down the premature So Long product page on their website the instructions showed the motors taped together.

Initiator001 05-30-2023 07:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attached are pictures of a production Estes So Long kit.

The body tubes have a thicker/heavier wall.

Scott_650 05-30-2023 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Attached are pictures of a production Estes So Long kit.

The body tubes have a thicker/heavier wall.

It’s most likely BT-52H/29mm motor mount tube. When I first saw the pictures I thought maybe it was made up from BT-55 tube reinforced with a full length section of coupler tubing but using straight BT-52 tubes would definitely be lighter and strong enough for Estes 29mm BP motors.

Ez2cDave 05-31-2023 04:42 PM

Maybe, just MAYBE, Estes will also be releasing the "E60" coreburner motors, too ?

Dave F.

Ez2cDave 06-22-2023 12:24 PM

Quote:
Estes PSII So Long Rocket Kit now available at Apogee.

AC Supply . . . MUCH cheaper !

https://www.acsupplyco.com/so-long-...tes%20so%20long

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Model...et-Kits/So-Long

Hmm . . . $42.97 ( ABOVE Estes MSRP ) or $27.99 ? . . . Decisions, decisions, decisions .

BEC 06-22-2023 03:31 PM

Two So Long kits (and a few Q-Jets) ordered from AC Supply. I'm in pretty good shape with Estes motors that aren't carried at Hobby Lobby right now.

Thanks for letting us know they're in stock at AC.

SolarYellow 07-03-2023 01:55 PM

So Long is in stock at ACSupply.

https://www.acsupplyco.com/so-long-model-rocket

Ez2cDave 07-03-2023 04:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Estes So Long and the Ultimate Sanding Bar listed in the New Products Section at eRockets.....Not in stock currently though.

The new "Ultimate Sanding Bar" looks like the Great Planes & Du-Bro units, to me.

Dave F.

SolarYellow 07-03-2023 04:41 PM

So they're selling 220, 120, and 80 grit strips to go with that thing?

Have they forgotten how to build rockets in Penrose since they've been farming it all out to HCMBanjo?

Also, $8 for 14 inches of sandpaper, vs. $20 for 60 feet of adhesive-backed, 2.75-in wide quality paper on Amazon.

Ez2cDave 07-03-2023 04:48 PM

Check out the "Perma-Grit" Tungsten Carbide sanding blocks !

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Perma-Grit

BEC 07-03-2023 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
The new "Ultimate Sanding Bar" looks like the Great Planes & Du-Bro units, to me.

Dave F.

Since Great Planes was also part of Hobbico, I expect it’s the same extrusion. However, it’s a different length in between the two smaller Great Planes units. At some point I’ll find out.

I do not know anything about the DuBro units.

SolarYellow 07-03-2023 06:56 PM

If they're 30-off at AC Supply, it will be by far the best option for something like this in the market.

Ez2cDave 07-03-2023 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Since Great Planes was also part of Hobbico, I expect it’s the same extrusion. However, it’s a different length in between the two smaller Great Planes units. At some point I’ll find out.

Agreed . . . I seriously doubt that Estes paid for a "custom extrusion", other than having it "cut to length".

Ez2cDave 07-03-2023 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarYellow
If they're 30-off at AC Supply, it will be by far the best option for something like this in the market.

They ARE 30% off . . . MSRP $39.99 . . . $27.99 at AC Supply !

Ez2cDave 07-04-2023 08:28 AM

The "Perma-Grit" sanding tools have several advantages . . . TUNGSTEN CARBIDE

(1) No sandpaper to replace or sticky residue from adhesive sandpaper sheets.

(2) They last for decades, when used on soft woods, like Balsa & Basswood.

SolarYellow 07-13-2023 11:13 AM

Quote:
The "Perma-Grit" sanding tools have several advantages . . . TUNGSTEN CARBIDE

(1) No sandpaper to replace or sticky residue from adhesive sandpaper sheets.

(2) They last for decades, when used on soft woods, like Balsa & Basswood.

Do they load up with primer, paint, and glue? That's what kills my sandpaper, even when wet sanding or cleaning frequently.

BEC 08-18-2023 05:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Dave F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

Quote:
Agreed . . . I seriously doubt that Estes paid for a "custom extrusion", other than having it "cut to length".

I picked one of these up from Scott Hunzicker at NARAM. It is NOT the same extrusion as the Great Planes unit. It's bigger and much heavier.

And actually I'm finding that the 120 grit that came with it is quite suitable for rounding the leading edges of the fins on the So Long I'm building right now.

SolarYellow 08-18-2023 05:46 PM

Interesting. That will help it stay flatter, in case it is dropped, but it will also make it take a little more effort to use, and also mask dynamic variations in the feel as the abrasive cuts.

I'll definitely try it when ACS gets some in, but may end up thinking both is the right answer.

BEC 08-18-2023 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarYellow
Interesting. That will help it stay flatter, in case it is dropped, but it will also make it take a little more effort to use, and also mask dynamic variations in the feel as the abrasive cuts.

I'll definitely try it when ACS gets some in, but may end up thinking both is the right answer.

Yes, I'm using both as I'm working on this model. I just put fresh 150 on one of the small GP sanders and 220 on the other.

The Great Planes units are ~2 1/4 inches wide. The Estes one is 2 3/4 inches wide. I'm finding on Amazon that there are lots of rolls of sticky-back sandpaper that are 2 3/4 inches wide. So I'll just have to decide what one or two grits I will want for this thing in the long run, I guess.