Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Build Thread: Estes Saturn V #1969 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17875)

LeeR 04-25-2019 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
Shouldn't a job in Burlington, NC have to wait until you finish this build thread?

Haha, years ago I worked from home. Sometimes the draw of the rocket room in the basement was just too much. I’d “take a break” to sneak in a few minutes, especially to go outside and spray some paint.

Then I’d resume working after dinner, well, some of the time ... :rolleyes:

jeffyjeep 04-26-2019 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Success!

Fortunately I made a scan of the original cardstock sheet before I cut it out. I enlarged the image by 1%, printed it onto .010" cardstock, cut it, curled it, glued it, and now the fit is perfect.

Now I hope the vacu-formed outer wrap is the correct size. I have a plan for that if it isn't (I just don't know what the plan is yet.) :o

jnmiller 04-27-2019 07:15 AM

BCH ??

nelie61 04-27-2019 11:03 AM

:rolleyes: I think Jeffy has mentioned many times of the red haired vixen. So as not to offend, instead of RCH he used BCH

jeffyjeep 04-27-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmiller
BCH ??

BHC is an ancient machinist's term to refer to a VERY small amount. It may even date back to Archimedes. :rolleyes:

....and yes, as with most abbreviations that submariners employ, the translation is vulgar.

TBC

jeffyjeep 04-27-2019 04:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It's hard to believe it's almost May! Today in N. Illinois it's alternating between rain and snow. You guys up in Wisconsin must be getting clobbered! I could have stayed in Burlington, NC. It was 85+ degrees and my rental car was a convertible.

Because I can't decide which adhesive to use to attach the vacu-formed wraps to the build, I've shifted gears on the SV build and I've assembled and improved the engine mount/stuffer tube.

The engine mount/stuffer tube I've build according to the directions except as with every 1:100 scale I've ever built I've made these changes to the shock cord mounts:

Using the largest die of my leather punch I make (2) holes 180 degrees apart near the OD of the top centering ring. I then cut (2) pieces of 1/8" birch dowel to 1" long, tie a length of braided 100# Kevlar to each with a square knot, run the Kevlar through the holes, and then epoxy the dowels to the underside of the top CR.

I'll cut the Kevlar cords to length when I mount the assembly into the BT-101.

TBC

jeffyjeep 04-29-2019 06:25 PM

Instruction error?

1 Attachment(s)
On page 5, "Install Engine Mount", Step 2, the text reads to leave 3/4" between the reinforcing ring and the end of the BT101.

The illustration says 11/16". I know it's JUST 1/16" difference but I'm meticulous.

Which one is correct? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Earl 04-29-2019 08:27 PM

Absent any other data points in the instructions, I'd probably go with the 19mm callout since that figure is consistant between the text and the illustration.

An online converter shows that 19mm is just a tiny tad under 3/4".

Earl

jeffyjeep 04-29-2019 09:54 PM

That makes sense.

Thanks.

Quasar 05-15-2019 11:27 AM

Hey, guys,

Would someone with the 1969 kit be so kind as to measure the length of the body tube that the instructions list as "030466 L.E.M. body tube", please? I was ordering some parts from Estes and went ahead and got the plastic LEM shroud for my #2001 kit. Now, I have to shorten the body tube to put it between plastic shroud and the capsule. Thanks.