Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Current Kit Talk (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New Estes Little Joe II--what's inside! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15738)

jeffyjeep 01-20-2016 07:45 PM

New Estes Little Joe II--what's inside!

10 Attachment(s)
I got back from Kokomo today and my LJII was waiting for me.

The kit's box is beautiful! The box is taped and not shrink-wrapped. The contents are absolutely premium! The only vacu-formed piece is the corrugated body wrap. The fins are molded styrene (thank God!)

Besides the assembly instructions is a complete LJII historical brochure with Centuri's original logo, price, address, and copyright date of 1968.

I haven't opened the packet yet, but it's POSSIBLE that the parachute is the red/white scale Apollo "long stripe" pattern.

jeffyjeep 01-20-2016 07:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
...and the rest.

Brent 01-20-2016 07:52 PM

Very nice! Can't wait for mine to get here. Tracking says tomorrow.

dwmzmm 01-20-2016 07:56 PM

Nice! Will have to order me one! :)

stefanj 01-20-2016 08:00 PM

Thank you for the unboxing!

With all that heavy plastic, I can understand why a E30 was recommended.

doswonk 01-20-2016 08:41 PM

Very nice! Just put in my order with AC Supply during lunch today. Website says "In Stock", unless it's lagging behind actual inventory because you guys cleaned 'em all out! :p Ordered 2, of course: one for a practice "boilerplate" run, and one to build the right way, for show.

I remember very clearly that my first Centuri catalog (1977 #1, I'm thinking) had a blow-out sale for the remaining 1/45 LJII kits. At the time, I wasn't interested in such a gnarly, aesthetically unpleasing rocket (plus, a lot of my meager rocket budget had to go for ENGINES), so I passed on the opportunity to get the original kit at an insanely low closeout price. Later coulda sold one or a dozen of 'em for a pretty penny on eBay. But my 11-year-old brain was not up to foreseeing eBay and the Internet back then!

Anyway, my Inner Geek has matured a great deal since then, and now I'm pretty excited about this kit.

doswonk 01-20-2016 08:46 PM

Oh, and I like the clever "Photo by Jeffy Jeep" marker.

Web photo pirates beware of the Thrifty Man's Watermark!!

LeeR 01-20-2016 10:10 PM

After recently constructing and attaching the 8 fins on the Estes Saturn 1B, this one is going to be a real pleasure!

dwmzmm 01-20-2016 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
After recently constructing and attaching the 8 fins on the Estes Saturn 1B, this one is going to be a real pleasure!

Come on LeeR, how about trying to construct the eight fins to the Estes (or SEMROC) 1/70 scale Saturn 1-B? The 1/100 scale version IS a breeze....... :D

LeeR 01-20-2016 10:43 PM

Dave,

I actually plan to build my Semroc 1/70 Saturn 1B this year. Are you telling me it may not be an absolute delight? :)

Now, the next big challenge will be redoing the fins on an old Estes Maxi Honest John. I tore the originals off in disgust in my "younger days". (It's gotta be about 20 years ago...)

I think I'll do built-up basswood and card stock this time. I have access to a laser so I may not have to hand cut the frame pieces.