Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Wrapping a 1/100 Saturn 1B (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=13716)

the mole 03-23-2014 09:33 PM

Wrapping a 1/100 Saturn 1B

5 Attachment(s)
I'm the guy that posted the 1/70 scale Saturn 1B wraps, but I like the 1/100 scale Saturn 1B the best. To me, it's the right size – not too big; not too small. So I have done a set of wraps for the 1/100 scale Saturn 1B. This time, however, I have built the rocket as I drew the wraps, so you can see them as they are applied. I used the ESTES 1/100 Saturn 1B for the tube size, and patterns needed to clone this rocket. If anyone has questions as I'm posting, I will try to answer them if I can. When I get to the end of the build, I will ask Scott to post them like he did the other wraps for those who would like a copy of the wraps.

The first thing I did was read Gus's tutorial on how to apply wraps here. I used his method to apply all my wraps. Thanks, Gus, this worked out great. With this said, let's get on with the build.

The first thing I did was print out the fuel tank wraps and apply them to the tubes. Next I glued them to the core tube.

jeffyjeep 03-23-2014 09:59 PM

What is your adhesive of choice for applying the tank wraps? Aleene's Super Tacky?

the mole 03-23-2014 10:21 PM

For this project I used Gus's method. I printed them out on Avery 8 1/2"x 11"s white shipping labels. Check out Gus's tutorial on how to apply wraps. I learned a lot from this thread.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=10456

the mole 03-24-2014 09:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I printed out the aft body wrap and applied it to the aft body tube. I gave some time for the wrap to set up good on the tube, then I glued the aft tube to the fuel tanks. I made sure to align the black and white areas on the aft tube to the fuel tanks.

Ltvscout 03-24-2014 02:48 PM

Frank,

If you send me the PDF's like you did for the 1/70th I can put them online for you.

I made the 1/70th wrap thread a Sticky so people can always find it. I'll do the same for this thread once we get the wraps online.

Scott

the mole 03-24-2014 03:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The fuel tank shroud is next. This is printed on 110 card stock. Let the ink dry, and spray all printed wraps with a protective coating like Krylon clear finish.

Cut the shroud out and glue the ends together. Once the glue has dried, slip the shroud over the top of the tanks and down to the aft tube.

Earl 03-24-2014 03:13 PM

Frank-

If modeling the same round as your 1/70th wraps, but doing it in /100 scale, what percent reduction would one print the 1/70th wraps to equate to the 1/100 scale?

In other words, I assume the 1/70th wraps could be 'repurposed' for 1/100th scale use by printing scale adjustments, correct?

Earl

the mole 03-24-2014 04:43 PM

Hi Earl,
You're right, you probably could reduce the 1/70 scale down around 70%. I was not satisfied with the results, though, because the images started to bleed into one another. In short, you could reduce the scale of the 1/70, but you will lose details.

the mole 03-24-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Frank,

If you send me the PDF's like you did for the 1/70th I can put them online for you.

I made the 1/70th wrap thread a Sticky so people can always find it. I'll do the same for this thread once we get the wraps online.

Scott

Thanks Scott,
I will send them to you when I get near the end of this thread.

Frank.

Earl 03-24-2014 04:59 PM

Ok, understand. So, the 1/100 scale wraps have specifically been optimized for that scale detail. Cool!

I'm looking at starting an Estes 1/70th kit and earlier had printed the SM wrap for that scale shortly after you posted them. Nice detail!

You have certainly done a ton of work on these even just for one scale, much less two different scales. And shared them with us for free...that is quite a gift for us all.

Much appreciated! :)

Earl