Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Current Kit Talk (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Phantom returns! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17812)

j.a.duke 03-07-2019 02:35 PM

The Phantom returns!

I was browsing the newly released 2019 Estes catalog and there’s a whole page (92) with the newly re-released Phantom (1207).

My wonderful wife tracked down a mint in package Phantom (then many years OOP) for Christmas in 2011 or 12.

I don’t recall if it has the cutaway engine. I haven’t built it. In fact, I’m not sure where it is right now.

Cheers,
Jon

BEC 03-07-2019 04:54 PM

Your older one will have a cutaway engine of sorts....a vacuformed part and half of an engine casing (some assembly required).

I’m really looking forward to the new release in part to see how the new cutaway engine is done (hopefully better). I’m also more than a little curious of that nose cone in the picture - it looks to be a different shape than the prior one (which is just an Alpha III/IV/VΙ nose cone molded in clear plastic).

I’d love to know when they will be available even though I have three of the older ones - two built up and one in the bag. The built ones both had one fin broken off some time before I got them (as kits), but CA at least gets ‘em back on easily enough. I also replaced the supplied 4-inch lengths of PST-50 with 5.5-inch ones so that they're the same size as an Alpha III instead of being so stubby. Nice to see the new 1207 has also adopted that approach, it appears.

tbzep 03-07-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Your older one will have a cutaway engine of sorts....a vacuformed part and half of an engine casing (some assembly required).

And painting. At least there's no sanding! :D

ghrocketman 03-07-2019 05:39 PM

I'm going to have to buy one to FLY to ruin the tubing with the ejection charge.
Made an ugly orange mess in the tube of the one I launched in 8th grade with a B14-5.

dwmzmm 03-08-2019 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the original "earlier" Phantom model; always take it with me when doing demonstrations and/or assisting in Scout launches. Draws a lot of attention; everyone (especially the adults) want to get pictures of it.

ghrocketman 03-09-2019 07:21 AM

That's not the earliest Phantom, but definitely the style I launched.

mycrofte 03-09-2019 07:36 AM

Guess you could coat the inside with mineral oil to protect it from the ejection charge.
__________________________________________________ ________________

JumpJet 03-11-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:
And painting. At least there's no sanding!

Sorry, there is NO painting at all on this model. Even the cutaway motor is ready for display.

John Boren

tbzep 03-11-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Sorry, there is NO painting at all on this model. Even the cutaway motor is ready for display.

I was speaking of the older version of the OP's referred to in BEC's post, but it's good to know that the cutaway on the new release is ready to go. :cool:

BEC 03-11-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet

John Boren

That is certainly nothing to apologize for!

tbzep was calling me out for my "some assembly required" comment about the vacuformed shell for the cutaway motor in the past 1207s in that I didn't mention the painting as well.

For both of the 1207s I've built (including the one I took to NARAM last year and showed to Ellis Langford at the Reunion) the painting of that cutaway motor was not my favorite part :rolleyes: