Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Ask the Doctor (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Asbestos in Modern Wadding? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3737)

islandmike 08-22-2008 07:18 AM

Asbestos in Modern Wadding?

Hi,

I just bought a new kit from Estes, (Outlaw) and put it together last night. Good times.

Just in learning about rocketry though, i've come across discussion of asbestos.

As a former heaver smoker, I'm really trying to avoide additional risks, and I'm wondering if modern wadding (like from the new kit I bought yesterday) would contain asbestos?

Could someone let me know? Thanks!

CJU 08-22-2008 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmike
Hi,

I just bought a new kit from Estes, (Outlaw) and put it together last night. Good times.

Just in learning about rocketry though, i've come across discussion of asbestos.

As a former heaver smoker, I'm really trying to avoide additional risks, and I'm wondering if modern wadding (like from the new kit I bought yesterday) would contain asbestos?

Could someone let me know? Thanks!

There is no asbestos in wadding. Could you imagine the lawsuits if there was? :eek:

Bob Kaplow 08-22-2008 08:02 AM

There hasn't been asbestos in wadding since the early 60s. The current Estes stuff is flameproofed Charmin. Quest uses parade float decorating tissue that is already flameproofed. other common wadding materials (crepe, dog barf, fiberglass, etc) are all asbestos free. I don't think it's legal to put asbestos in anything any more.

ghrocketman 08-22-2008 09:40 AM

No asbestos in any currently produced wadding....probably has been none since the 60's.

Not true that it's illegal to put asbestos in anything, but it's use has been SEVERELY limited, like that of the useful, but inappropriately maligned, pesticide DDT.

I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of asbestos is used in military applications, and as a whole about .1% of what used to contain asbestos now does.

Some things just have no decent substitute for them; like lead in aviation AV100LL gasoline.

islandmike 08-22-2008 02:54 PM

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I'm looking forward to a little 3-2-1 this weekend!

Cheers,

Mike

Shreadvector 08-22-2008 03:07 PM

You *will* want to keep away from the exhaust cloud from most composit motors as it is quite an irritating choke-fest.

Doug Sams 08-22-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmike
Good for you, Mike. How long on the wagon?

Next week will mark 6 years cig-free/nicotine-free for me. Hoo-rah!

Doug

Bob Kaplow 08-22-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
You *will* want to keep away from the exhaust cloud from most composit motors as it is quite an irritating choke-fest.

Actually, Fred, it's great for clearing my congested sinuses!

Bob H 08-22-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Good for you, Mike. How long on the wagon?

Next week will mark 6 years cig-free/nicotine-free for me. Hoo-rah!

Doug

Good for you!

I have been smoke free for 28 years now after having smoked for 20 years before that.

At the time that I quit, cigarettes were accepted in the workplace and in all public buildings so I was subject to temptation everywhere but the price had just gone up to 70 cents a pack and I didn't want to pay that high price for something that was just making me cough all the time..

rokitflite 08-22-2008 10:40 PM

From what I remember being told (more than 25 years ago) it is some type of borax solution that the wadding material (toilet paper) is treated with so that it will not hold a flame.