Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Tomahawk paint questions (Ute Tomahawk) (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17717)

aeppel_cpm 03-31-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
Yes . . .

Note the different fins.

Dave F.

And I don’t think those are the fins shown in the Tomahawk brochure I have. Hmmm...

I’m wondering if I can print up something that screws to the fins I have now and converts them.

I also wonder what the round dark spot it. It looks like it’s surrounded by 6 screws and has a wire coming out of it. Part of a despin unit?

And lastly, in my book, hanging off the nosecone of a sounding rocket ranks right up there with look down waveguide.

Jerry Irvine 03-31-2019 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope this scale data helps.

Ez2cDave 03-31-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
And I don’t think those are the fins shown in the Tomahawk brochure I have. Hmmm...

I’m wondering if I can print up something that screws to the fins I have now and converts them.

I also wonder what the round dark spot it. It looks like it’s surrounded by 6 screws and has a wire coming out of it. Part of a despin unit?

And lastly, in my book, hanging off the nosecone of a sounding rocket ranks right up there with look down waveguide.

There is dimensioned data on the 12" payload variation of the Nike-Tomahawk available.

http://cv41.org/newsletters/V18I3.pdf

I don't believe that the "round dark spot" is part of a de-spin unit. Most likely, it is some sort of sensor or, possibly, a camera of some type.

On the "standard" Nike -Tomahawk, a "yo-yo" de-spin unit is mounted between the motor and the payload section.

aeppel_cpm 03-31-2019 09:11 PM

Thank Jerry. That’s the info I based my model on.

But I have leftover parts from the kitbashing. Just the right parts for a scale 12” payload. I have line drawings of the 12” payload from a period brochure - but had not seen pictures until now. Thanks Dave.

Now, a Ute Tomahawk may never have flown the 12” payload. I’m not sure I care. And I -DO- happen to have a Nike that the Ute nosecone/interstage should fit. So the paint scheme won’t match (my Nike is marked with the Keweenaw Range round numbers. I’m an MTU alum) but I’m not always picky.

Ez2cDave 03-31-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:
Thank Jerry. That’s the info I based my model on.

But I have leftover parts from the kitbashing. Just the right parts for a scale 12” payload. I have line drawings of the 12” payload from a period brochure - but had not seen pictures until now. Thanks Dave.

Now, a Ute Tomahawk may never have flown the 12” payload. I’m not sure I care. And I -DO- happen to have a Nike that the Ute nosecone/interstage should fit. So the paint scheme won’t match (my Nike is marked with the Keweenaw Range round numbers. I’m an MTU alum) but I’m not always picky.

Would you please send me a copy of that brochure ?

Ez2cDave@aol.com

Thanks, in advance !

Dave F.

aeppel_cpm 04-01-2019 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sent. and posted.

aeppel_cpm 04-01-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Hope this scale data helps.

I did pick up some tricks from you for this build, Jerry:
How I did the boat tail.

Ute boat tail layout by Charles McGonegal, on Flickr

Ute boat tail cut by Charles McGonegal, on Flickr

You can just see in this picture that I added a short piece of 2.5" tubing (or maybe coupler) to the aft centering ring to provide more surface area to glue. It still slipped a little, so the gaps aft of the fins aren't even all the way around.

Ute fins by Charles McGonegal, on Flickr

Ute booster by Charles McGonegal, on Flickr

Jerry Irvine 04-01-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:
I did pick up some tricks from you for this build, Jerry:
How I did the boat tail.
When I looked at your build photos I was thinking both booster shrouds could be done using Integrated Tube-tm and a fairly easy sport scale kit would emerge. It looked to me like your interstage reducer was a traditional shroud. If it were me and a smooth surface was a priority, i would put a traditional shroud over an IT-tm shroud for strength and stage coupling.

Jerry

aeppel_cpm 04-01-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
When I looked at your build photos I was thinking both booster shrouds could be done using Integrated Tube-tm and a fairly easy sport scale kit would emerge. It looked to me like your interstage reducer was a traditional shroud. If it were me and a smooth surface was a priority, i would put a traditional shroud over an IT-tm shroud for strength and stage coupling.

Jerry

Interesting thought with the layering. Mine is foam filled.

Ez2cDave 04-04-2019 06:53 PM

!

Quote:
Sent. and posted.

Charles,

Thank you, sir !

Dave F.