Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Official TRF News/Update (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4229)

AKPilot 12-03-2008 12:22 AM

Official TRF News/Update

Well folks, we finally managed to do it! Eugenio and I had a disagreement and we banned each other off the forum and subsequently no one can get into The Rocketry Forum (TRF) anymore.

Seriously, TRF is experienceing a serious database corruption error. The site will be down until further notice.

Roughly two months ago Eugenio and myself, as well as many of you, saw the outages starting to increase, indicating such a problem was starting to occur. This was one of the major drives for both of us taking ownership of the site so suddenly, to correct some errors and prevent the permanent loss of the web site. Unfortunately we weren't quick enough to prevent the corruption error over the past month; as it had been slowly occuring over a greater period of time. The previous TRF management didn't backup the system as needed.

Currently, we are trying to glean everything we can off of the database and then move over to the new third-party provider. It's always been our sincere hope that all of the data gathered over the years will not be lost during this transition. However, with the corruption occuring spontaneously we're not sure if this will be possible.

Nevertheless, there are plans for TRF to return with or without the previous data.

Thanks as well to Scott for his personal support through this outage.

Peartree 12-03-2008 05:34 AM

When was the last reliable backup? Even a one year old backup would preserve a lot of history (but wipe out most of my meager contribution).

Best of luck in preserving whatever you can.

JRThro 12-03-2008 08:23 AM

That's a real shame, Troy and Eugenio. I hope you'll be able to recover the majority of the database, if not all of it.

At the very worst, though, I guess I can start asking really simple questions again.
:D

Ltvscout 12-03-2008 08:23 AM

Troy,

I didn't see this post till after I replied in the other thread.

Depending on how serious things are, you may want to contact Jelsoft to see how they or a third-party can help in recovering data from the corrupted database. It's not like as if TRF is the first vBulletin forum to have this issue. There should be a number of people/companies out there that can help in this matter.

Good luck!

Ltvscout 12-03-2008 08:24 AM

Oh, for a "local" person that may be able to help or give advice, contact DeanHFox here on YORF. I believe he's a programmer with a database background. He may be able to give you some hints and tips.

DeanHFox 12-03-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Oh, for a "local" person that may be able to help or give advice, contact DeanHFox here on YORF. I believe he's a programmer with a database background. He may be able to give you some hints and tips.
Heh...Scott, where do I send your $5 referral fee? :D

If there's anything I can do to help, I'd be glad to have a look...

AKPilot 12-03-2008 10:21 PM

BTW, on the updated web site, we're ditching the Microsoft, Rocket, Clip Art.

We're going with Barney the Dinosaur to reinforce the "family friendly" theme.

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-03-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
Heh...Scott, where do I send your $5 referral fee? :D

In a package marked "Scott's Fridge: Serve Chilled" :rolleyes:

Royatl 12-03-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot

Nyuk, Nyuk.... Oh, a Wise Guy, Eh??

CPMcGraw 12-04-2008 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot

Shouldn't that be "Dyna-Soar"???

It is a rocketry forum, after all... :o