Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bad news (ESTES) (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17070)

stefanj 01-11-2018 08:22 PM

RE sales then and now:

I suspect that Estes's distribution network is WAY larger than it was even at the height of the space race.

They've gotten into Target, Walmart, and large regional chains like Fred Meyer.

Fingers crossed!

A Fish Named Wallyum 01-12-2018 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
You know, I wonder, if adjusted for inflation, does Estes do more or less in overall sales volume than, say, 40yrs ago?

Estes pretty much *IS* a monopoly within the business......Quest was never more than background noise......so it would seem to stand that they'd find their way out of Hobbico's 'mess' rather well.

Maybe John Boren will make a pseudo-hostile takeover and produce only the cool stuff HE wants!! :eek: :eek:

Colonel Klink voice: "You vill build these skill level 6 kits and you *vill* like it!!"

:cool: :cool: :cool:

astronwolf 01-12-2018 07:16 AM

I am not welcoming the potential change in the status quo. Best case is some entity buys Estes and wants to keep it running as is. Worst case someone buys Estes and squeezes it hard to milk every penny it can out of the business.

GuyNoir 01-12-2018 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Worst case someone buys Estes and squeezes it hard to milk every penny it can out of the business.

Given the bankruptcy, what makes you think Hobbico wasn't doing that already?

pterodactyl 01-12-2018 09:42 AM

>Given the bankruptcy, what makes you think Hobbico wasn't doing that already?

Coming from a banker this certainly implies that this was the case.

astronwolf 01-12-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterodactyl
>Given the bankruptcy, what makes you think Hobbico wasn't doing that already?

Coming from a banker this certainly implies that this was the case.

I'm not saying that Hobbico was not already doing that, but consider that Estes is still delivering high quality products. New owners might have a different philosophy. I'm sure we all can come up with examples of what sometimes happens after a company is sold where product quality goes down as the new owners seek to, as I put it, squeeze every last penny out of an operation. Speculation. Nothing to do about it other than wait and see.

Gus 01-12-2018 09:51 AM

I think Hobbico did a nice job of managing Estes. Estes is a MUCH better company today than it was before Hobbico took it over.

My heart goes out to all the nice folks who work at Hobbico, including Rick Piester (son of Centuri founders Lee and Betty Piester). I hope the reorganization goes well and that they all land on their feet. I am very grateful to Hobbico for all they did to rescue Estes from its Barry days.

As for the future of Estes, I am confident that its best days are still ahead of it.

Steve

mojo1986 01-12-2018 10:48 AM

It would be nice to see someone from the Piester family take it over.

rocket.aero 01-12-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Worst case someone buys Estes and squeezes it hard to milk every penny it can out of the business.

One school of thought says that a well-run company SHOULD squeeze to get every possible penny out of a business.

"Well run" and "maximized profits" are not mutually exclusive terms. The best run companies in the world are those that deliver outstanding products and services while maximizing shareholder value. I sincerely hope that Estes, regardless of whatever form it takes going forward, can do both.

James

ghrocketman 01-12-2018 01:50 PM

A combo of Rick Piester and John Boren at the helm of Estes if spun-off would be GREAT.