Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bad news (ESTES) (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17070)

the mole 01-10-2018 03:49 PM

Bad news and now Good news (ESTES)

I'm hoping this isn't bad news for ESTES. :confused:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...yoffs-next.html

BEC 01-10-2018 04:04 PM

Oh. My.

astronwolf 01-10-2018 05:07 PM

Need some blue skies right about now.

jeffyjeep 01-10-2018 06:11 PM

This news sounds really bad.

ghrocketman 01-10-2018 06:38 PM

Not good and possibly realllllllly bad.

UMRS 01-10-2018 06:52 PM

John Boren said it will be weeks before they know the impact.

the mole 01-10-2018 07:41 PM

Man, I was hoping ESTES would rerelease the 1/100 Saturn 1B. Now that might not happen before things get complicated. Keeping my fingers cross ESTES keeps going.

BEC 01-10-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMRS
John Boren said it will be weeks before they know the impact.

Ah.....I had been holding back even asking the folks in Penrose figuring exactly that. Much depends on what the court does, I expect.

MarkB. 01-10-2018 10:59 PM

Comrades:

Betcha Estes/Centuri gets spun off and sold separately to generate funds for the core Hobbico operation. I'd guess they want to protect the distributorship for big ticket items like drones.

Since Estes is more or less a free-standing entity, (or it appears to be) it should be quick and easy.

modeltrains 01-10-2018 11:17 PM

here's Hobbico's own web post on the matter, https://www.hobbico.com/company-news.php

Though having been a hobby retailer, last time about a decade back, I no longer keep up with happenings there. Guess it is going to be a case of "Stay tuned for further developments"

modeltrains 01-11-2018 01:56 AM

This and the comments are worth the time to read,
http://www.uavexpertnews.com/2017/0...iants-flounder/

Quote:
Merchants Are Suffering
Merchants have gotten the short end of the stick as consumer trends and shopping habits change, and manufacturers squeeze out distributors
Each industry is different, but in the US most customers simply do not understand (or care) how businesses work. Most are unaware that retail hobby and electronics stores operate on profits that have been driven to less than a 20% gross margin. What this means is that a typical beginner model airplane that might sell at a store for $99.99, cost the store $79.99. But to really get the full picture you have to do all of the math. For instance that model aircraft product that sells for $99.99 at the store (and online) has the following cost associated with it.

GuyNoir 01-11-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeltrains
here's Hobbico's own web post on the matter, https://www.hobbico.com/company-news.php

The press release is pretty clear that they want to keep the company running:

"Under the process afforded to us under Chapter 11, we hope to reach an agreement with our creditors that will allow us to implement a restructuring plan that fully addresses our financial challenges while simultaneously identifying a prospective buyer that shares our vision of providing the best possible outcome for our employees and the future of Hobbico."

pterodactyl 01-11-2018 09:25 AM

The Estes brand, model rocketry, and by extension the enthusiasts who love the hobby will be fine, but there will be a period of uncertainty through the Chapter 11 process.

The Estes brand is unique from almost any other aspect of the Hobbico product line. Brand name recognition and an established distribution network combined with a unique technical ability to supply rocket motors to an established marketplace make them different than almost any of the other Hobbico businesses. This will ensure their survival and the livelihood of their employees.

Estes is almost the only portion of the Hobbico operation that doesn't face stiff foreign competition. They have already jumped through all the expensive regulatory hoops that any competitor would need to surmount. There is an established and predictable demand for their products within the marketplace. Model rocketry is not a fad, it is an established educational hobby with a track record stretching over half a century.

For these reasons Estes can emerge from this temporary business uncertainty bigger and stronger than ever.

jdbectec 01-11-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterodactyl
The Estes brand, model rocketry, and by extension the enthusiasts who love the hobby will be fine, but there will be a period of uncertainty through the Chapter 11 process.

The Estes brand is unique from almost any other aspect of the Hobbico product line. Brand name recognition and an established distribution network combined with a unique technical ability to supply rocket motors to an established marketplace make them different than almost any of the other Hobbico businesses. This will ensure their survival and the livelihood of their employees.

Estes is almost the only portion of the Hobbico operation that doesn't face stiff foreign competition. They have already jumped through all the expensive regulatory hoops that any competitor would need to surmount. There is an established and predictable demand for their products within the marketplace. Model rocketry is not a fad, it is an established educational hobby with a track record stretching over half a century.

For these reasons Estes can emerge from this temporary business uncertainty bigger and stronger than ever.

+1. Bankruptcy doesn't always mean going out of business.

AstronMike 01-11-2018 12:18 PM

Sales Figures

You know, I wonder, if adjusted for inflation, does Estes do more or less in overall sales volume than, say, 40yrs ago?

Estes pretty much *IS* a monopoly within the business......Quest was never more than background noise......so it would seem to stand that they'd find their way out of Hobbico's 'mess' rather well.

Maybe John Boren will make a pseudo-hostile takeover and produce only the cool stuff HE wants!! :eek: :eek:

Colonel Klink voice: "You vill build these skill level 6 kits and you *vill* like it!!"

Rocket Babe 01-11-2018 03:35 PM

>Maybe John Boren will make a pseudo-hostile takeover and produce only the cool stuff HE wants!! :eek: :eek:

I like that idea!

GO JOHN! :) :) :)

Verna
www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K

ghrocketman 01-11-2018 04:21 PM

I also like the idea of John Boren taking over !
Maybe then we could get B14s and C5s back.

tbzep 01-11-2018 04:56 PM

Just don't let Ba**y Tu***ck get close to Estes. :eek:

JumpJet 01-11-2018 06:36 PM

Lets do a John Go Fund Me Fund. I don't know how many millions it's going to take to buy Estes so start sending your money in.

:chuckle:

John Boren

the mole 01-11-2018 07:16 PM

Where do I go to give? :cool:

stefanj 01-11-2018 08:22 PM

RE sales then and now:

I suspect that Estes's distribution network is WAY larger than it was even at the height of the space race.

They've gotten into Target, Walmart, and large regional chains like Fred Meyer.

Fingers crossed!

A Fish Named Wallyum 01-12-2018 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
You know, I wonder, if adjusted for inflation, does Estes do more or less in overall sales volume than, say, 40yrs ago?

Estes pretty much *IS* a monopoly within the business......Quest was never more than background noise......so it would seem to stand that they'd find their way out of Hobbico's 'mess' rather well.

Maybe John Boren will make a pseudo-hostile takeover and produce only the cool stuff HE wants!! :eek: :eek:

Colonel Klink voice: "You vill build these skill level 6 kits and you *vill* like it!!"

:cool: :cool: :cool:

astronwolf 01-12-2018 07:16 AM

I am not welcoming the potential change in the status quo. Best case is some entity buys Estes and wants to keep it running as is. Worst case someone buys Estes and squeezes it hard to milk every penny it can out of the business.

GuyNoir 01-12-2018 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Worst case someone buys Estes and squeezes it hard to milk every penny it can out of the business.

Given the bankruptcy, what makes you think Hobbico wasn't doing that already?

pterodactyl 01-12-2018 09:42 AM

>Given the bankruptcy, what makes you think Hobbico wasn't doing that already?

Coming from a banker this certainly implies that this was the case.

astronwolf 01-12-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:
>Given the bankruptcy, what makes you think Hobbico wasn't doing that already?

Coming from a banker this certainly implies that this was the case.

I'm not saying that Hobbico was not already doing that, but consider that Estes is still delivering high quality products. New owners might have a different philosophy. I'm sure we all can come up with examples of what sometimes happens after a company is sold where product quality goes down as the new owners seek to, as I put it, squeeze every last penny out of an operation. Speculation. Nothing to do about it other than wait and see.

Gus 01-12-2018 09:51 AM

I think Hobbico did a nice job of managing Estes. Estes is a MUCH better company today than it was before Hobbico took it over.

My heart goes out to all the nice folks who work at Hobbico, including Rick Piester (son of Centuri founders Lee and Betty Piester). I hope the reorganization goes well and that they all land on their feet. I am very grateful to Hobbico for all they did to rescue Estes from its Barry days.

As for the future of Estes, I am confident that its best days are still ahead of it.

Steve

mojo1986 01-12-2018 10:48 AM

It would be nice to see someone from the Piester family take it over.

rocket.aero 01-12-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Worst case someone buys Estes and squeezes it hard to milk every penny it can out of the business.

One school of thought says that a well-run company SHOULD squeeze to get every possible penny out of a business.

"Well run" and "maximized profits" are not mutually exclusive terms. The best run companies in the world are those that deliver outstanding products and services while maximizing shareholder value. I sincerely hope that Estes, regardless of whatever form it takes going forward, can do both.

James

ghrocketman 01-12-2018 01:50 PM

A combo of Rick Piester and John Boren at the helm of Estes if spun-off would be GREAT.

pterodactyl 01-12-2018 02:11 PM

Hey James,

Another rule of thumb is that you should reinvest in the business. Less the genius of Mr. John Boren and our other friends there I didn't notice much of that happening.
It would be interesting to know what their R&D budget did after Hobbico took over.

scigs30 01-12-2018 04:13 PM

I hope all works out for Estes and Hobbico. Just in case it does not, I did place an order yesterday for some RC kits from Tower Hobbies, and they shipped today. There is a lot of stuff on Towers website that show out of stock probably because vendors are not getting paid.

tbzep 01-12-2018 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I hope all works out for Estes and Hobbico. Just in case it does not, I did place an order yesterday for some RC kits from Tower Hobbies, and they shipped today. There is a lot of stuff on Towers website that show out of stock probably because vendors are not getting paid.

Growing up and still living in a rural area with no hobby shops, my hobby life has long revolved around the Estes and Centuri catalogs and later the Tower Hobbies catalog when I got into R/C. I hope both Estes (Centuri) and Tower survive.

GuyNoir 01-12-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
One school of thought says that a well-run company SHOULD squeeze to get every possible penny out of a business.

Well, the message I got loud and clear in business school was that our job was to "maximize shareholder value", and I certainly tried to do what I could to achieve that for the companies who employed me.

Jerry Irvine 01-12-2018 04:45 PM

Technically Hasbro or Mattel, both public companies have the ability to take over in a non-cash acquisition. The year 2018 is the year of the merger so their timing for filing is exquisite. The lenders will take a haircut in BK for sure.

Hey guys, want to buy back Estes as a co-op? To put this in perspective, if one were to buy the company for $5m, that's only 335 BTC.

Jerry

Historical note. Estes is typically used as a cash cow for the owner's other businesses.

A company that needs NOL's could buy it as a private deal. NOL's are Hobbico's biggest asset.

georgegassaway 01-14-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Hey guys, want to buy back Estes as a co-op? To put this in perspective, if one were to buy the company for $5m, that's only 335 BTC.

Jerry

Yeah, sure. Everybody send Jerry Irvine your $ to buy Estes.

Been there, seen that, never got the RMR T-shirt.....nor did anyone else.

UMRS 01-14-2018 08:01 PM

Who cares

Jerry Irvine 01-15-2018 08:12 AM

Revell has posted to FB that they are alive and well and the Hobbico Chapter 11 will not stop their production or new product release cycle. Therefore I would expect a similar result for Estes since as a division it is even more solvent.

Jerry Irvine 01-15-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
Been there, seen that, never got the RMR T-shirt.....nor did anyone else.
No you didn't. You got your money back. I didn't. That particular t-shirt company went out of business taking my money in the process. All this was posted to rmr of course but you feel the need to slime me anyway. So much for ethics, George.

Jerry Irvine 01-15-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:
Another rule of thumb is that you should reinvest in the business. Less the genius of Mr. John Boren and our other friends there I didn't notice much of that happening.
It would be interesting to know what their R&D budget did after Hobbico took over.

Based entirely on what John Boren posts here I would say they are full speed ahead on new product introductions and innovation given new manufacturing processes, all pushed through their Chinese pipe.