Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Current Kit Talk (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   TAZZ Kits are on sale for $7.99 at Hobby Lobby (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=20979)

dbrent 09-15-2022 08:02 AM

TAZZ Kits are on sale for $7.99 at Hobby Lobby

TAZZ Kits are on sale for $7.99 at Hobby Lobby. As you may or may not know the TAZZ kit is currently the only available source (other than Ebay) of the venerable PNC-50Y nosecone. Estes does not sell this nosecone separately or as part of any nosecone assortment.

If you live in Southeast Phoenix area...sorry! I've already raided those stores.

Don

BEC 09-15-2022 01:14 PM

Gee, I hope I can grab a couple more at that price.

As an aside, the blow-molded nose cone used on the shuttle/glider in the new upscale Super Orbital Transport is a faithful upscale of the old BNC-20B and therefore would make a Tazz truly look like an upscale Gyroc. But of course one can't get THAT nose cone separately either.....

Scott_650 09-15-2022 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Gee, I hope I can grab a couple more at that price.

As an aside, the blow-molded nose cone used on the shuttle/glider in the new upscale Super Orbital Transport is a faithful upscale of the old BNC-20B and therefore would make a Tazz truly look like an upscale Gyroc. But of course one can't get THAT nose cone separately either.....

If there’s one thing I really wish Estes would “bring back” is the availability of parts! At the very least a decent supply of nose cones - other than PSII sized body tubes everything else is readily available elsewhere except nose cones…

BEC 09-15-2022 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
If there’s one thing I really wish Estes would “bring back” is the availability of parts! At the very least a decent supply of nose cones - other than PSII sized body tubes everything else is readily available elsewhere except nose cones…

John Boren told me the place to make that sort of sentiment known where it will be seen by the powers that be at Estes these days is — kind of ironically — Facebook. Perhaps a post to the Estes Rockets Facebook page?

Scott_650 09-15-2022 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
John Boren told me the place to make that sort of sentiment known where it will be seen by the powers that be at Estes these days is — kind of ironically — Facebook. Perhaps a post to the Estes Rockets Facebook page?

John has relayed that insight - evidently there’s some degree of monitoring by the folks at Estes of the popular model rocketry FB pages, I cruise through (and contribute to at times) the Estes official page, the Estes fan page, Model Rocketry Fanatics, Model Rocketry USA and the NAR page. Hopefully they don’t transition to Instagram since I don’t have the interest or patience to fiddle with that nonsense. Outside of quoted posts in online articles I’ve never seen anything on Twitter and don’t plan on ever using it in the future.

Outside of scrolling through Marketplace (which has pretty much replaced Craigslist, unfortunately, because MP’s interface is TERRIBLE!) the rocketry FB pages are my sole point of contact with FB - I only use the website version, have a tailored page that only shows my shortcuts and have all notifications turned off - so I don’t experience much of the drama or BS that FB seems to generate.

LeeR 09-15-2022 07:52 PM

Facebook has a horrible interface, and I too use it mainly for the Rocketry groups. But it is a handy way to keep up with family and friends. But way too easy to get sucked into bitter arguments for many.

What Marketplace lacks in terms of interface and usability, it is terrific for selling. Everything I’ve sold has been gone same day. I usually have to monitor requests to buy by the order I receive requests, and I have never had to lower prices. But I think I ask a reasonable price. It’s not like an eBay sale. I’m selling because I want something gone. Not to make a fortune. If someone thinks it’s too much, there is usually 2-3 people wanting to know if they can come buy it.

I found a nice pair of Vandersteen speakers on Marketplace this year. I “stole” them for $300, well below market value, and way under list price. The guy must have bought them at an estate sale. Most of his other stereo stuff he was selling was big box store caliber. They just stood out from everything else.

Lots of bargains to be found on Marketplace but it takes some digging.

Scott_650 09-15-2022 08:52 PM

Back on topic, I doubt our only open for a couple months HL has any Estes stuff on clearance but it’s only 15 minutes away so I should check it out - not that I need another unbuilt Tazz on the pile 😆

BEC 09-15-2022 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
Back on topic, I doubt our only open for a couple months HL has any Estes stuff on clearance but it’s only 15 minutes away so I should check it out - not that I need another unbuilt Tazz on the pile 😆

I have one flying and another in the kit stash, so I don't really NEED one either.... :)

added: The Tazz is no longer on the HL web site, so if your local store had any in stock it is likely (though by no means sure — some of what they do at individual HL stores is mystifying) to be on sale.

I will check my usual HL store tomorrow. They had a couple of Tazz kits in stock last time I was there.

Bill 09-16-2022 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I found a nice pair of Vandersteen speakers on Marketplace this year. I “stole” them for $300, well below market value, and way under list price. The guy must have bought them at an estate sale. Most of his other stereo stuff he was selling was big box store caliber. They just stood out from everything else.

They may have come from a mostly peaceful protest. Or imported from Shopliftifornia.

Bill

BEC 09-16-2022 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My local Hobby Lobby (Federal Way, WA) has apparently not got the memo yet. They had eight Tazz kits in stock today, at the original $19.99. I did buy four of the six packs of B6-4s they had at their old price of $5.99. That’s better than getting them from AC Supply (with no offense meant to the fine folks at AC Supply).

Oh, and here's the Tazz with the SOT glider nose cone on it. My SOT was badly damaged today when a C11-3 I was using had a really wimpy ejection charge. No 'chute, no glider release — so pretty much a ballistic return. But that gave me the chance to do this and fly it twice. Worked fine.