Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Got SPEV? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18350)

Initiator001 03-05-2020 11:06 PM

Got SPEV?

4 Attachment(s)
For collectors of the Estes "K" series kits this designator ended with the K-58 Demon kit.

By the time of the 1974 Estes catalog new kits were being released with the "12XX" code and eventually all the remaining "K" kits would be re-coded with the 12XX designation. For example, the afore mentioned K-58 Demon became 1258.

However, there was one less known Estes kit that received the designation K-59. That was named SPEV.

This kit only appeared in the Estes Model Rocket News and never in any catalogs.
First appearance was the July 1972 issue (V12 N3).

It was a mail-order only model.

The model seemed to be made up of parts from discontinued kits (Little Joe II, Thor Agena-B).
Later it was found out that SPEV was short for "Spare Parts Elimination Vehicle".

Or, at least that's what folks said. ;)

The model appeared again in the December 1972 MRN (V12 N4).
The SPEV's final appearance was the May 1973 issue of MRN (V13 N1) where the SPEV was noted as being a free kit with a mail order purchase of $15.00 or more (That was a lot of money back then).

So, the SPEV faded from the memory of rocketeers.

By the time of eBay SPEV kits started showing up infrequently and often went for big $$$.

I had sometimes thought of getting a SPEV but it never really took hold with me. There were several clone kits made of the SPEV by different hobbyists/manufacturers (The latest one being the recently discontinued Semroc version).

I picked up a few of the Semroc versions and figured that was enough.

Then, the opportunity to get an original Estes K-59 SPEV kit came to my attention.
I figured "Why not" and was able to obtain the model.

The model was in very good condition with no damage to any of the parts and only minor wear to the packaging.

Attached are pictures of the kit along with scans of the two MRN pages showing the SPEV.

Earl 03-05-2020 11:15 PM

Bob-

That one looks to be in very good shape. Good snag!

I have one, open in the bag. I'm not a huge Estes collector and I never had this kit as a kid (was not aware of it at the time...only had Centuri catalogs in those years), but you are right; the SPEV does not come up too very often. One was listed on eBay recently, but the upper balsa reducer had already been glued in place, etc., though I think all parts were present.

I had thought about getting the Semroc version, but never did.

Good find!

Earl

Initiator001 03-05-2020 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Bob-

That one looks to be in very good shape. Good snag!

I have one, open in the bag. I'm not a huge Estes collector and I never had this kit as a kid (was not aware of it at the time...only had Centuri catalogs in those years), but you are right; the SPEV does not come up too very often. One was listed on eBay recently, but the upper balsa reducer had already been glued in place, etc., though I think all parts were present.

I had thought about getting the Semroc version, but never did.

Good find!

Earl

Thanks Earl. :)

One thing I would like to know is how many SPEV kits were produced by Estes.
Does anyone know how to contact Bill Simon (SPEV designer)? Maybe he would know.

hcmbanjo 03-05-2020 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I always wore a white tie when launching the SPEV.

mojo1986 03-06-2020 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
I always wore a white tie when launching the SPEV.

The tie is fine, but oooh that shirt! :eek: :chuckle:

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-06-2020 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I cloned it one weekend in 2004 using BMS parts. Flew it at B6-4 Field on a B6-4. It's floating down near the edge of the trees on one of the $1 checkerboard tablecloth parachutes that I got via eBay. As soon as I took the pic, I knew it was going to be good, and it's one of my favorites to this day.

tbzep 03-06-2020 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I cloned it one weekend in 2004 using BMS parts. Flew it at B6-4 Field on a B6-4. It's floating down near the edge of the trees on one of the $1 checkerboard tablecloth parachutes that I got via eBay. As soon as I took the pic, I knew it was going to be good, and it's one of my favorites to this day.

What kit was hanging in the tree? :eek: :D

tbzep 03-06-2020 07:25 AM

I must say that the facecard was correct. I cloned one years ago. It was easy to build and flies great. However, gathering parts was a little different. Carl was deviously waiting for me to clone it before he released the kit. It seemed that was his plan for about a two or three year span. If it wasn't one of my clones, it was my son's! Drove me nuts! :eek: :D I turned the transitions and NC and had to improvise on that upper BT-52 tube. IIRC I used some heavy wall tubing from a Tunick era E2X (Not generic) kit. It's a great demo model for small fields on a B6-4, and the C6 seems to burn forever after a B6 flight.

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-06-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
What kit was hanging in the tree? :eek: :D

Pretty sure that's a FunRockets Tangent. :rolleyes:

ghrocketman 03-06-2020 08:25 AM

I built a PDR clone of the SPEV many years ago.
Fun build and flier.