Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Recommendations for Glue ABS parts please? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18752)

Flash 08-11-2020 12:30 PM

Recommendations for Glue ABS parts please?

1 Attachment(s)
ABS 3D printed parts

I noticed that a lot of kit instructions recommend using CA type glues for gluing ABS to ABS or ABS to Estes type tubing.

What are the pros and cons of using CA type glue for low powered rocketry gluing of these parts?

So what's the best choice for gluing ABS to ABS parts?

How about ABS to Estes Tubing?

Would Beacon Glue be a better choice for ABS to Estes Tubing?

Thank you!

ghrocketman 08-11-2020 12:39 PM

ABS to ABS, Methylene Chloride based Plastruct Bondene, Tenax 7R, or Micro-Mark "Same Stuff".

tbzep 08-11-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
ABS to ABS, Methylene Chloride based Plastruct Bondene, Tenax 7R, or Micro-Mark "Same Stuff".

Once you try any of these you will never touch CA or anything from Testors' for ABS again!

heada 08-11-2020 01:02 PM

Plastruct is great stuff. Its what I use exclusively for ABS.

Flash 08-11-2020 01:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ABS to ABS correct?

I have one and I have another from Hobby Lobby that should be equal to Plastruct glue.

What about ABS to Estes tubing?

tbzep 08-11-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
ABS to ABS correct?

I have one and I have another from Hobby Lobby that should be equal to Plastruct glue.

What about ABS to Estes tubing?

Some folks use the old Testors' tube glue for that, but a decent medium cure epoxy is probably the best option after preparing the plastic with some sandpaper.

ghrocketman 08-11-2020 02:19 PM

Plastruct Plastic Weld is NOT the same as Plastruct Bondene. For ABS, Bondene works at least 100X better than their Plastic Welder. Their Plastic Welder is MEK and is LOUSY for ABS.

Their Plastic Welder in a word SUCKS. It is the same as current crappy Testors liquid cement .

harsas 08-11-2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Of these, do any of them have tolerable odor levels? We have breathing issues in this house and CA, in tiny amounts is barely tolerable.

Earl 08-11-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

I have some Ambroid Pro Weld which I *think* is Methylene Chloride based. Has anyone used it for ABS? The label does not list ingredients, but says it for styrene, butyrate, ABS and acrylic.

Earl

tbzep 08-12-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsas
Of these, do any of them have tolerable odor levels? We have breathing issues in this house and CA, in tiny amounts is barely tolerable.

They have a fairly light solvent smell, but to be honest, to me it is a pleasant smell. I happen to like the smell of many solvents like acetone, fresh gasoline, good lacquer thinner, classic Hoppes #9, etc. so maybe I'm not a good person to ask about that. CA doesn't smell good to me and the vapor sort of attacks the moist membrane in my nose and eyes.