Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   10mm Sockets (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18579)

tbzep 06-05-2020 09:21 PM

10mm Sockets

Why doesn't every hardware store, automotive store, and big box store sell 6 point 10mm sockets in buckets at the checkout counter like those crappy air fresheners and imitation Chapstick? I had to buy a full set of 1/4" drive sockets today just to get a single 10mm six point socket.

My current set has a 12 point 10mm socket, which sucks for everything except stripping bolt heads. The socket set I keep in the truck....well, that 10mm socket is hiding with all my missing socks, drinking beer and laughing at me.

Earl 06-05-2020 09:50 PM

Ah, the ol’ 10mm socket...my Toyotas best friend, not that I had to work on them too very often.

Earl

tbzep 06-05-2020 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Ah, the ol’ 10mm socket...my Toyotas best friend, not that I had to work on them too very often.

Earl

I was doing a valve clearance adjustment on my ATV. The majority of regular bolts on the Honda are 10mm, but as with my motorcycles, there's a lot of hex head bolts and plastic pins. I was a bit surprised with the clearance. I expected both to be a little loose, but the exhaust valve was tight.

mycrofte 06-06-2020 06:14 AM

Even when they do have individual sockets, they cost about half the price of a whole set anyway.

Neal Miller 06-06-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Why doesn't every hardware store, automotive store, and big box store sell 6 point 10mm sockets in buckets at the checkout counter like those crappy air fresheners and imitation Chapstick? I had to buy a full set of 1/4" drive sockets today just to get a single 10mm six point socket.

My current set has a 12 point 10mm socket, which sucks for everything except stripping bolt heads. The socket set I keep in the truck....well, that 10mm socket is hiding with all my missing socks, drinking beer and laughing at me.

Go to Harbor Fright, they have the best price on socket sets. I bought a complete set for about
$6.00 and they seam to be very well made, gone are the days of the Sears tool department.
also I think that Northern tool had single sockets and wrenches ?

tbzep 06-06-2020 02:08 PM

I do have several HF tools, including higher dollar items like an aluminum jack, motorcycle lift and wood lathe with the exact same tooling and casting marks as expensive brand name items. However, it's a couple towns away and I needed something immediately. I ended up with a $9 Jobsmart set.

BEC 06-13-2020 11:18 PM

I know it’s too late now, but I was in Home Depot a couple of days ago and saw metric deep sockets for sale individually in the area where all the sockets/wrenches were in the back corner of the tools area. The 10mm ones were six point.

tbzep 06-14-2020 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I know it’s too late now, but I was in Home Depot a couple of days ago and saw metric deep sockets for sale individually in the area where all the sockets/wrenches were in the back corner of the tools area. The 10mm ones were six point.

Well I'll be. I've never seen singles except for the occasional spark plug socket. I don't get to HD often. It's about 40 miles away and there's always heavy traffic to get to it. I've got a couple Lowe's about 25 miles away and both are much easier to get to. The closest HF is also about 25 miles. If it's something small, I can get to it on curvy roads via two wheels. :cool:

mbauer 06-14-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
If it's something small, I can get to it on curvy roads via two wheels. :cool:

Sounds like a fun adventure: Not a drive as in a 4-wheel cage.

Mike

tbzep 06-14-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
Sounds like a fun adventure: Not a drive as in a 4-wheel cage.

Mike

To be honest, I should find a curvy route to more places that are much farther away.

"Honey, say you need a new charging cable for the phone? I'll be back with one in a couple hours...make that three, I may have to stop for gas and a bite to eat!"

"Dang, I lost that 10mm socket in the grass and I can't even see it in the early morning sun. Honey, I'll be back by supper!"

"Hmm, this mower is missing a common 1/4 x 20 bolt. The local Tractor Supply probably has one, but I think that hardware store I saw in the mountains has much higher quality hardware. I'll be back in a couple days, Honey!"