Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Current Kit Talk (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New Way Saturn 4? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18201)

grog 11-28-2019 04:18 PM

New Way Saturn 4?

In the Nov/Dec 2019 Sport Rocketry -- article about the NARAM-61 Manufacturers Forum, there is mention of New Way Space Models square-bodied Saturn 4. Do any of you know if the kit has been or will be released?

Thx.

ghrocketman 11-28-2019 04:50 PM

Good grief I hope not.
Tubing/bodies of rockets shall be ROUND.
'Nuf said.

BEC 11-28-2019 04:53 PM

ping Bluegrass Rocket on here....he is the head honcho at New Way Spacemodels.

And despite GH's comments, I have found their kits both very well thought out and good flyers. I'd be interested to see what the current status of that Saturn IV is, as well.

BARGeezer 11-28-2019 05:51 PM

I presume it's still in development. Probably will be released on the Erockets website when ready. See post #3 on this thead:https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...mx-kits.152733/

djmartins 12-23-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Good grief I hope not.
'Nuf said.

Ditto!
Though I wouldn't be shocked if the new moon rocket is square bodied.

LeeR 12-24-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Good grief I hope not.
'Nuf said.

I thought I was the only model rocket enthusiast that has zero interest in square rockets ...

Actually, I like body tubes with an infinite number of sides ... I just settle for round tubes.

Gus 12-24-2019 02:05 AM

GH, LeeR,

Whether you like square body tubes or not, do yourself a favor and try one of Rick's kits. Not only are they definitely not the same old thing, but the kits come packaged with little extras to make the builds easier or more pleasant. Definitely way more thought and care for the builder than anyone else's kits. Worth building one just to realize there is a higher standard, and New Way sets it.

Steve

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-24-2019 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
GH, LeeR,

Whether you like square body tubes or not, do yourself a favor and try one of Rick's kits. Not only are they definitely not the same old thing, but the kits come packaged with little extras to make the builds easier or more pleasant. Definitely way more thought and care for the builder than anyone else's kits. Worth building one just to realize there is a higher standard, and New Way sets it.

Steve

:cool: Agreed.

ghrocketman 12-24-2019 06:32 AM

Based on the advice of Steve above, I'll order one and give it a try.

jeffyjeep 12-24-2019 07:23 AM

I built the square version of the Goblin. It’s a great rocket!

the mole 12-24-2019 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
GH, LeeR,

Steve

I agree also. If you want a rocket with a future look to it and a challenge to build look no farther than this kit the N-21 SKY FIGHTER NWY-21.

I would like to see a square Saturn 4 kit. I'm in for a couple.

LeeR 12-24-2019 10:21 AM

OK,

I’ll try one. Hard to imagine, but I’ve never built a Goblin! :)

Maybe I’ll follow Jeffy’s lead and try the Goblin sometime.

ghrocketman 12-24-2019 10:23 AM

I was going to order the "Vigilangle" but it was out of stock at erockets and didn't find elsewhere.

BARGeezer 12-24-2019 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How about a just released Big Bessie ?

Feyd 12-24-2019 11:07 AM

I've built several of the New Way rockets and the only thing I have a problem with is
getting the dog barf to hit all of the corners and not burn up my parachutes.

Other than that, they are well designed, come with nice thick body tubes, and great
decals.

I also love the square flat one, it's fun to see that monstrosity fly (it flies great!).

Gus 12-24-2019 12:28 PM

Gh and LeeR,

Really happy to hear you're going to try one! I particularly like Rick's sense of humor in doing knock-off's of classic kits. My favorite, unfortunately no longer available, is his Teros knock-off, the SquareOs. Really a fun build.

I think I'm going to do the Flat Boy next.

the mole 12-24-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Gh and LeeR,

Really happy to hear you're going to try one! I particularly like Rick's sense of humor in doing knock-off's of classic kits. My favorite, unfortunately no longer available, is his Teros knock-off, the SquareOs. Really a fun build.

One thing about these kits it would be hard to clone them. I liked the SquareOs also and they sold out before I could get my hands on one.

BARGeezer 12-24-2019 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't want to be a meanie and rub it in on Christmas Eve but.....

EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT GUYS!

NewWay Squareros and Estes Teros clone.
After building my first NewWay kit I was hooked. Now have several.
And the "extras" included with each kit are:
Small piece of sandpaper
Emery board
Q tip to apply glue
Heat shrink tubing to protect the Kevlar near the motor
Tyvek loops instead of the cheap paper reinforcements for the shroud lines

BTW did you see my signature? :D

BEC 12-24-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer

[thread drift]
And from these I have begun using these Tyvek jewelry price tags (which is what they really are) for both making and repairing 'chutes ever since my first New Way kit (which was one of the original Square One kits). They are marvelous.

A (nearly) lifetime supply for $6.50. https://smile.amazon.com/Jeweller-R...7240807&sr=8-17

I bought a package of these five years ago and have barely dented it....but I have repaired a bunch of Estes and other plastic 'chutes and used them for every plastic 'chute I've assembled since. They stick and they don't tear.

[/thread drift]

Gus 12-25-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
...And the "extras" included with each kit are:
Small piece of sandpaper
Emery board
Q tip to apply glue
Heat shrink tubing to protect the Kevlar near the motor

Yes, those are the kinds of things I was talking about. They're not huge things but just really thoughtful extras to make your build a little easier. Maybe I don't need a free Q-tip, but the thought that he includes one just in case, is really a different approach to kit making. I hope you guys really have fun with one of these kits.

Steve

Bluegrass Rocket 01-18-2020 02:34 PM

Thanks all for talking up the square kits. Especially thanks to Steve, Bernard and others who have enjoyed the kits. It literally started from my kids 7th grade science fair project. I thought it would just be fun to do something different and it has been very fun. I’ve had the opportunity to meet and get to know so many great people in the rocket community that I might not have otherwise. For the guys that don’t like the square rockets, I get it. They are not everyone’s cup of tea and I have no problem with that. I love round rockets as well and have hundreds of them.

I can’t even make round kits if I wanted to because of all the different technology it takes to make round kits. Along with being different, I thought about what else I could do to make the kits the best I could and be something I myself would feel good about buying. That’s how the extras came about.

The last 2 years I’ve had major eye problems with both of my retinas detaching requiring surgery. During this time I haven’t been able to work consistently, thus pushing the rocket business to the side. I have some vision now and I’m working on rebuilding NewWay.

Now that my kid, who was the inspiration for the square rocket kits, has grown up and is an aeronautical engineer, he’s helping me out and pushing me towards new technology like 3D printing and getting our own laser cutter.

I certainly plan on having some of the kits that I haven’t had in stock for a while back in stock. Besides my eyes, The laser cutter I’ve been using I no longer have access to. This makes my output of kits much slower. I’m working on it. Randy at eRockets has been a big supporter of mine and he will have kits as I get them made. I hope that those that have tried the square kits have enjoyed them, as I will continue to enjoy making them.

Also, I’m continuing to do testing on the Saturn IV. I had hoped to have it done by now but, plans don’t always work out.

5x7 01-18-2020 02:43 PM

I am so sorry to hear about eye trouble and so glad your vision is improving. I have enjoyed building your kits and appreciate the effort that goes into all the little details!

the mole 01-18-2020 03:00 PM

Good hearing from you Rick. Looking forward to seeing more of your rockets available in the future. I may be able to get the ones I miss out on the first time around. Keep working on that Saturn IV I'm in for a couple when they appear.

A real challenge would be If you could come up with a Saturn 1b or in your case a Saturn 1S.
Good luck in the future.

BARGeezer 01-18-2020 03:12 PM

Nice hearing from you.
Best wishes for your continued improving health.
BTW ever thought about a two stager? ;)

Bluegrass Rocket 01-18-2020 08:21 PM

I’ve done two 2 stage kits, the 2x4 and the Vigilangle. Both are 24mm to 18 mm. The 2x4 should be available at eRockets. I’m in development on another 2 stage kit, also 24mm to 18mm, they need the extra oomph on the first stage.

Les 01-18-2020 10:09 PM

Sorry to hear about your eye problems.

I love your kits. I've built your Higgs Farm, Nike Smoke 2, Sky fighter, Sky Spike, and Square in the Air

In my build pile is the 2x4, Geometric, Skyrise, Starship Deceptor, and Too Square

Hopefully you'll get more new ones out!

Swillie 01-21-2020 06:24 AM

Having just discovered these square models exist, I am immediately excited to build one. I am really wanting to find one in particular... NWY-22 Squareros, based on the Estes Teros rocket which I have wanted. If anyone has a bead on where I could find one I would appreciate it very much. Maybe there is a chance Rick will re-release this kit, please please!!

Steve

the mole 04-18-2023 03:22 PM

Man, I was so hoping that NEWWAY had released the square Saturn 4.

OK, I'll keep waiting and hope it is in the near future.

Swillie 04-19-2023 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk

Thank you for the link. Have you ordered from erockets recently? I really want to order that kit… I ask because a few years ago I actually placed an order for it and for whatever reason it never shipped and I was getting no response to email inquiries and I ended up cancelling payment. I felt bad about it and wondered if there was a medical emergency or the site was no longer in business. I still would like to order the kit again.

Swillie 04-22-2023 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
I have never had any problems ordering from eRockets. I would recommend you Contact Randy Boadway at
erockets@rocketmail.com to confirm they have the rocket kit you want if you think you’re going to have any problems again.

I placed an order and already have a tracking number, woohoo so glad to have one of these headed my way!

PaulK 05-06-2023 06:45 AM

Hmm, not seeing the New Way Saturn 4, did it sell out already?

Les 05-06-2023 07:31 AM

So far as I know, it never got released