Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Adhesive film covering question (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=21180)

bobdros 12-01-2022 06:08 AM

Adhesive film covering question

I had gotten something to cover the "fins" of my upscale Groove Tube many years ago but I can't remember what it was called to get more. It's thin and flexible with a peel off backing to apply it. I'd appreciate anyone's help in telling me what it's called and how I can find more.

jeffyjeep 12-01-2022 06:27 AM

If it was rom a hobby store it was probably Top Flite MonoKote adhesive film. The stuff is becoming hard to get in some colors, so the last time I needed a special color I went to Micheal’s and bought a sheet of Oracle adhesive film. With the Oracle brand you get a 12” x 12” sheet for a buck and a half and it’s good stuff.

ghrocketman 12-01-2022 07:14 AM

Both Ultrakote and Oracover are easier to work with than Super Monokote.

bobdros 12-01-2022 03:01 PM

Thanks!

Thanks so much! I thought adhesive film would look nicer than masking and painting small areas.

tdracer 12-01-2022 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Both Ultrakote and Oracover are easier to work with than Super Monokote.

I don't think they call it 'Super Monokote" anymore - the iron on stuff is just called Monokote. I think the stick-on stuff is called 'Trim Monokote'.

I have a horrible time finding Monokote or Trim Monokote anymore - it also seems to be available from proper dedicated hobby shops, and the one really good one around here closed about the time of the pandemic (Galaxy Hobbies - great place, I sometimes went in and bought stuff I didn't really need just to help them out).

bobdros 12-07-2022 03:35 PM

Ultracote?

Does Ultracote have an adhesive backing to attach to fins? The information I found some information that said it's used for R/C airplanes and needs to be ironed on somehow.

BEC 12-07-2022 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdros
Does Ultracote have an adhesive backing to attach to fins? The information I found some information that said it's used for R/C airplanes and needs to be ironed on somehow.

If you want self-stick, what you're looking for with either Ultracote or Monokote is trim material. Monokote trim comes in sheets 5x36 inches. On Amazon as well as at hobby shops (if you have one anywhere near you).

Ultracote trim comes in rolls that are 3 3/8 inches wide and 78 inches long. This is also a hobby shop item. Some do mail order, such as Chief: https://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio.../ultratrim.html

Regular Monokote or Ultracode do indeed need to be ironed down. There are small irons sold for this purpose and most of us who build (or used to build) RC airplanes have a couple in our tool stash.

That said, I have not tried any model airplane converings on rockets myself....yet, anyway, save for using small bits of Monokote trim sheets for accents to a painted color scheme.

tdracer 12-07-2022 05:11 PM

I've used the iron-on Monokote on some boost gliders over the years. One thing we did back when I was heavily into competition rocketry was to take the boost glider wings (after they were shaped and sanded) and cut out large sections where it was flat - then coat the whole wing with Monokote (the idea was to save weight, although I don't remember how effective it was).

I also covered higher power boost and rocket glider wings ('D' engine and above) to prevent the dreaded shred.

At any rate, I always found doing iron-on Monokote to be reasonably simple and straight forward to do. I used a small travel iron as the heat source. Of course the peal and stick trim Monokote is even easier so long as you avoid getting wrinkles in it.

bobdros 12-07-2022 05:32 PM

Trim it is!

I'm planning on using it instead of masking and painting snall areas. I also want to use it to cover the tube fins on my next upscale Groove Tube.

georgegassaway 12-07-2022 10:48 PM

Over time, and with cardboard tubes swelling end shrinking a bit from humidity changes, model plane coverings usually wrinkle. Did a a few times before learning that, then stopped. Also, covered fins tended to wrinkle the covering too.