Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Mission Control (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Field help near Davis, CA (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=5821)

jflis 09-03-2009 06:26 PM

Field help near Davis, CA

My son Joe is currently living in Davis, CA. He works with adults with mental handicaps. This past week he did a rocketry program with them but the field he was going to use fell through.

They have their rockets built but no place to fly them.

Is there a club, group, individual within 45 minutes of Davis, CA who can provide them with a field to fly in some time in the next 2 weeks? They are flying Thing-a-ma-Jig kits with A8-3 motors so they don't need much of a field.

He has exhausted every avenue we can think of and are now hoping someone in the rocketry community can help with an already established flying location.

Anyone?

You can respond to this thread or contact me via email
Thanks!
jim

scigs30 09-03-2009 11:19 PM

Good luck, California in the middle of Fire Season.......

jflis 09-04-2009 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Good luck, California in the middle of Fire Season.......

Yeah, I noticed that too. He is in Northern CA and after talking to the fire department is not aware of any burn or rocketry bans at the moment.

Shreadvector 09-04-2009 08:05 AM

ANYWHERE in the State of Claifornia to legally launch Model Rockets you are required to obtain:

permission of the property owner
and
a permit from the fire authority having jurisdiction

More details here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/siteaid.pdf

jflis 09-04-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
ANYWHERE in the State of Claifornia to legally launch Model Rockets you are required to obtain:

permission of the property owner
and
a permit from the fire authority having jurisdiction

More details here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/siteaid.pdf

Yep, that's the purpose of this thread. To find someone with a field he can use (implied: a field they have permission to use). As for the permit, that's all set (at least for Davis, CA).

We know what we *need* to do... ...it's the *doing it* part that's a kicker... LOL

Jerry Irvine 09-04-2009 12:24 PM

I am curious what Fred has to say about this, but if you have a fire permit in hand, a public park access is presumed. It's a PUBLIC park. The fire permit is issued by a PUBLIC agency.

Jerry

o1d_dude 09-04-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflis
My son Joe is currently living in Davis, CA. He works with adults with mental handicaps. This past week he did a rocketry program with them but the field he was going to use fell through.

They have their rockets built but no place to fly them.

Is there a club, group, individual within 45 minutes of Davis, CA who can provide them with a field to fly in some time in the next 2 weeks? They are flying Thing-a-ma-Jig kits with A8-3 motors so they don't need much of a field.

He has exhausted every avenue we can think of and are now hoping someone in the rocketry community can help with an already established flying location.

Anyone?

You can respond to this thread or contact me via email
Thanks!
jim

Jim, check with Mike at Quasar One Custom Rockets. There's a phone number on his website (very bottom of the home page) and he may be able to help. The local county 4-H sponsors a launch once a month and Mike may have the full details on it. I'm guessing the location is within 45 minutes of Davis.

jflis 09-05-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1d_dude
Jim, check with Mike at Quasar One Custom Rockets. There's a phone number on his website (very bottom of the home page) and he may be able to help. The local county 4-H sponsors a launch once a month and Mike may have the full details on it. I'm guessing the location is within 45 minutes of Davis.

Thank you much. I just sent an email and will follow up via phone tonight!

jim

scigs30 09-06-2009 11:05 AM

I can tell you from experience that a Public Park is not presumed, unless it has been designated by the parks dept. as a rocket launch site. Yep in Socal, you need a permit from the FD and Ok from property owner or permit from the parks dept. of that jurisdiction......I am on the East Coast right now visiting family and the first thing I notice is that everything is green and tons of space to launch rockets.

jflis 09-07-2009 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1d_dude

We should know early this week, but it looks like Mike is going to be able to help him out. Thank you again! :)

jim