Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Scale Rocketry Reference books? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17851)

Ez2cDave 04-07-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
The most comprehensive book I have on this subject is: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Space Technology By Kenneth Gatland 1981 Harmony Books - New York.
Every Major Space Launch Vehicle listed per County with Spec's. 3 fold -outs with illustrations of rockets for comparison and showing system components, a real good source info.

About $4.00, with free shipping, on eBay right now . . .

I just bought one for my library ( the 1990 revised edition ), in "very good" condition !

It was copyrighted in 1981 and published in 1984 & 1990.

Dave F.

olDave 04-08-2019 09:54 PM

Rockets and Missiles of WW III

I just went looking to see if I still had a copy of that book but did not find it. (Don't remember if I already got rid of it.) IIRC, it was not a great source of scale data, having only "beauty shot"-style photographs of missiles and no scale drawings.

On the other hand, I can strongly recommend Soviet/Russian Aircraft Weapons Since World War Two by Yefim Gordon, published by Midland back in 2004. ISBN 1 85780 188 1. Lots of large, clearly rendered profile drawings from which measurements can be pulled. Lots of good photos. Good coverage of most Russian current air-to-air missiles, air-to-ground, cruise, and even post-WW II buzzbomb test missiles. Three thumbs up!

Gus 04-08-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olDave

...On the other hand, I can strongly recommend Soviet/Russian Aircraft Weapons Since World War Two by Yefim Gordon...!

Dave,

Thanks! Really a great suggestion! In addition to volumes that cover the usual suspects I'm particularly interested in stuff we don't normally see. So, thanks again!

Steve

Ez2cDave 04-08-2019 10:43 PM

If anyone would like a "nice collection" of books, shoot me an email and a Dropbox invitation will be on the way . . .

Ez2cDave@aol.com

I'm not going to list them, but no one should be disappointed . . . Besides, the "price is right" - LOL !

Dave F.

Chris_Timm 08-20-2021 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Drawing the Rigel(s).

Does anyone have this book in their personal library collection?

mojo1986 08-20-2021 01:17 PM

Nope. But it's on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4028926377...CYAAOSwXQpgt0Q7

Don Altschwager 08-20-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Timm
Drawing the Rigel(s).

Does anyone have this book in their personal library collection?

Yep. A decent book, lots of background material on the history of cruise missiles. Covers (chapters are) USAF, Navy, Intercontinental, Hound Dog, Air-Launched Cruise Missile, Tomahawk (3 chapters), Advanced Cruise Missile (was canceled), and future. Many photos but not a photo only book.

Chris_Timm 08-20-2021 01:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Altschwager
Yep. A decent book, lots of background material on the history of cruise missiles. Covers (chapters are) USAF, Navy, Intercontinental, Hound Dog, Air-Launched Cruise Missile, Tomahawk (3 chapters), Advanced Cruise Missile (was canceled), and future. Many photos but not a photo only book.

I was curious if it had any additional information on the Rigel other than rehashing the same info found in Gunston's ROCKET & MISSILES.

The Rigel development had some interesting prototype designs.

Don Altschwager 08-20-2021 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Timm
I was curious if it had any additional information on the Rigel other than rehashing the same info found in Gunston's ROCKET & MISSILES.

The Rigel development had some interesting prototype designs.

Two very brief mentions, just to say that Grumman was to develop it and that the program was canceled. Supposed to be a Mach 2 supersonic vehicle powered by a pair of Marquardt ramjet engines. Both mentions of it immediately goes into a discussion of the Regulus. There is one concept drawing.

Chris_Timm 08-21-2021 07:04 AM

I was hoping that maybe something new was in there.
That same image of the blue tactical version was in Gunston.
I have that one drawn already but the source shop blueprint does not show those funky hexagon fin tip plates.

I had similar prototype differences when researching the Grumman Eagle missile.
So I drew both versions.