Thread: Embedded Images
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfischer
The problem with embedding, vs. attaching images is that often times you will eventually take down the picture from the external source, and then the picture will no longer display properly in the thread. So if someone comes back in 3 years, does a search, and finds a thread that should have answered all their questions, they might find that none of the pictures display and therefore the thread is worthless to them.

If you attach the pics, then they will stay up as long as this forum stays alive...
From an archive perspective, yes, you run the risk of getting red x's where the images should be.

But from a readability perspective - that is, from conveying ideas in the most effective manner - you can't beat embedded images (except for adding formatting such as html).

Trying to follow a detailed description while flipping back and forth between images and text is tedious and makes it harder to understand the details. Having the images (properly sized, of course) interwoven in the text make for far more effective communications, IMNSHO

I'll take readability in the here and now over archive later. That is, my priority is usefulness in the present. But I do share your frustration of doing a search, finding what appears to be an answer, then discovering the pics are missing in the linked web page.

Doug

YORF member #11