View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 06:18 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
I am talking about those who, essentially, use a "mini flash-pan", loaded with BP, Pyrodex/777, Smokeless Powder, Crimson Powder, etc, etc, etc.

Igniters that would not significantly add pressure would include "traditional" Estes igniters ( not the cornstarch BS ), electric matches ( Daveyfire/Oxral style ), Quest Q2G2 ( unfortunately OOP ), etc.

Dave F.

so a single-shot flashpan electrically ignited is "significant" but a DIY igniter with a BP head is not significant, even if they both used the same amount of BP in them? Or they both are significant? Basically, you are saying that BP/Smokeless powder/crimson powder. whatever powder, in any amount should be banned from use in piston launchers and that only igniters that have a pyrogen (which still produces some gases) are ok..... pyrogen generally ignite by hot gases , so what if I have a single-shot flash pan with a glob of pyrogen that I electrically ignite...... heat ignites pyrogen that release more heat and hot gases ...

see the problem that we are getting into. IS the NAR/FAI going to start regulating what kind of igniter that is ok and not ok? that's kinda micro-management for me.

"Priming" the pump, so to speak has obviously been going on in FAI competition for quite some time, for a competitive edge. It's like a dirty little secret that nobody wants to address or talk about because it opens up a can of worms.

Dave, I'm playing devil's advocate here.

The FAI has outlawed Floating Head Pistons which gave the USA a technological edge in piston technology I assume because they were afraid somebody would get hit in the head with a loose piston tube.......

http://www.jpyro2.com/wp-content/up...Kos-559-562.pdf

https://www.jacobsrocketry.com/aer/...nd_igniters.htm

Do these past the insignificant test?