View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Don't give up! - they're real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
Has anyone hard anything lately about the big (28-29mm) BP motors that Bill Stine presented at NARAM 50? I built a BT-70 upscale Sky Raider for them , but haven't heard anything in a while. I am itchin' to fly.....

Phred

The economy has played a small role in their delay. Fourth quarter "08 was way off and we backed off pouring any more money into their release. Once the dust settled, our first quarter has been the strongest in over three years. So I am proceeding with caution. The D5's and D8's are awaiting EX numbers. If the planets all align we should be shipping these by NARAM. I hope the E's and F's will be shipping this fall. We will be shipping the Big Dog, Mean Green, and Grunt in late June along with a series of engine mount kits to fit a variety of tube sizes (yes... the kits will ship before the engines).

Why the grouped releases? Easy, the D's have less than 30grams of propellant and can ship as 1.4 - The E's and F's will ship as 1.3 and need an entire new set of master cartons tested and certified (adding additional logistics and cost to their release).

We're also trying to perfect a method to get a higher initial flight velocity for the E's and F's.

FYI - on a related note - we're also waiting US DOT EX numbers for a new 8 inch length Q2G2 igniter.