View Single Post
Old 11-06-2022, 10:37 AM
Cardstock Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Another thought, and you know dangerous that can be...

If you need added strength in a section, instead of using thicker cardstock, consider borrowing an idea from the Atlas. Put an inflated balloon inside. Fill it with helium to lower weight; is that enough of a difference to help the CG if placed in the lower sections? It is counter-intuitive, but water vapor is also lighter than dry air.

Bill

Helium is getting super expensive.

Would the balloon burst the paper once it is filling? Expanding on the inside could burst/tear the cardstock.

How to fit the balloon inside if full already?

The internal tube for exhaust gases will be deformed.

Would allow a smaller parachute to be used, if the idea can be worked out.

I like the idea, although installing might be the issue, maybe some of those really long skinny balloons might work. Have helium and a balloon fill at work....

On this smaller 1/65 Scale, don't think the weight limit is going to be an issue.

Lost over 12.6gms of weight by changing some parts.

Then lost 0.9oz by changing to the foam. Future models will have 1/4" foam used for the current 3/16" heavy paper covered foam bulkheads.

One of the projects listed below now has the highest priority once the items get here. Tomorrow I weld up a portable table for Hot Knifing home insulation foam into different thicknesses. 1/4" possible, 1/2" standard. Table can handle 2.5" thick x 4ft x 8ft foam and still work to get thin slices from it.

Metal for table has been purchased, will be delivered tomorrow, so welding/fabricating this week as the hot knife Bow will be here on Weds.

Final build today should give the weight of the completed rocket. Testing will verify if need weight or the larger fins will work for stability.

I buried the engine as far inside the bottom as possible and still get access to it.

Couple of build issues, changed some parts for lighter and easier construction.

Today need to install 2-of the bottom shrouds/cones the fins fit in, add the fins, glue the Apollo, CSM, LM Cover and LES together. Slide onto the 3rd stage top and spin test for stability.

Hope all goes well today, it would be great to get this done, then I can begin on the SR71 Habu and Saturn 1B. Like to work on two builds at a time, if an issue develops, gives time to think about it while you work on something else.

Still trying to decide on the final scale. I can do any scale, but thinking if there is a popular size most like, can do them that size.

Super small will be the stomp rockets currently flying.

Eventually all scales will be available, once I retire from work. Just don't have the time right now to do a bunch of different scales, other projects are demanding time on them too.

Like big rockets, so trying to stay away from the A, B powered size.

Mike