View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 01:39 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
My favorite part of my KSC visit was driving my own vehicle to the Air Force Space and Missile Museum and LC 5/6 and 26 at Port Canaveral and basically being allowed to to be hands on at the pads and blockhouse. I enjoyed listening to the retired employee guides too. A Delta III (that was destroyed soon after launch) was sitting on pad 17B and was easily visible when I was walking around the area. I had already done a quick visit on the "Cape Canvaveral: Then and Now Tour" bus tour but the stop was so short I knew I had to go back.

Launch Complex 34 wasn't a part of the tour when I went in 1998. I wanted to see it. I don't recall stopping at the Mercury Atlas or Gemini Titan pads either. In fact, we drove past just about everything without stopping except at the museum. I was robbed!

Yes, for some reason they simply won't allow the buses to go down to the Atlas or Gemini Titan pads... Probably because they're in terrible disrepair and they're ashamed that, as well they should be. The closest you get is the 'street light' they had installed for one of the flight directors that couldn't find the turn out there in the dark.... and of course the stainless steel Mercury 7 display, and the "sign boards" at the Gemini Titan Complex 34.

Later! OL J R