View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 06:46 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
OK, out of all the weird statements you've made, **that** one doesn't pass the SMELL test.

Putting a freshly burnt motor casing in my car after a launch puts a smell in there that people can notice days after the casing has long been thrown in the trash.

Either your parents didn't visit your room often, or they were chain smokers to the point that their sense of smell was gone!!

I may have posted about this incident here many years ago, but:
A couple months after I started in Model Rocketry (summer of 1967),
a friend of mine got into the hobby. I helped him put his first order to Estes together with a couple of kits, some motors, a Tilt-a-Pad and launch controller. He called me up the morning his stuff arrived to come over and help him build the kits, and just as I walked in to the back room I saw him with the pad set up, a motor taped to the top of the launch rod and the clips hooked up to the igniter. I looked at him with this "you're not serious" look on my face just as he said "Hey Sean - watch this!" I barely had time to say "No Tony - don't..." and he pressed the button. Fortunately, the launch rod stayed attached to the pad, but unfortunately it was a B3-7.
His mom heard the motor ignite and came running in yelling and screaming, ripping him a new one while the delay smoke continued to fill the room. Both Tony and I new it wasn't over. His mom didn't. Just as she was catching her breath to lay into him again the ejection charge went off, spraying red hot black powder particles up and out. Tony and I ducked and she fell backwards out of the room. We both started looking around making sure nothing was burning while she just stood there staring.
Needless to say, I was sent home while Tony faced his mother's disappointment in her only son's stupidity (and later that day, his father's).

The whole reason for this short story made long is that, to Roy's point, that room stunk for weeks after.
SAM #0031