View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I remember the space age

Default New magazine devoted to model rocket history, etc.

Hi all. Although I'm still new to this site, I've been reading "over your shoulders" for quite a while. Excellent site, and my hat's off to Scott Hansen and company for raising the standards of what websites can do for model rocketry. I wanted to inform you that we are launching a new, full-color, glossy magazine at NARAM-48 that will cover model rocket history in detail. The magazine is appropriately called LAUNCH and it will be published six times per year. The first issue will be available exclusively at NARAM and then to everyone else immediately afterward. We are also a sponsor at NARAM (we had asked Matt Steele to keep it quiet until now. We're the vendor he mentions that will be announced on site, but we all agreed we would go ahead and announce it this week.)

We will also have an online component that is up and running as of today (launchmagonline.com), but we will be adding much more to it in the days ahead.

The first issue of LAUNCH will be 56 pages and includes a 6,500-word Q and A-style interview with Vern and Gleda Estes, a 4,500-word conversation between Lee Piester and Matt Steele and a 3,000-word story on Orville Carlisle, Rock-A-Chute, G. Harry Stine and Model Missiles, all with historic photography. (Vern and Gleda, for instance, go into more detail than ever on their personal financial deal with Damon Corp., among other very interesting observations.)

LAUNCH will also cover current events in rocketry as well (and you can read more about that in a posting on the vendors section later today).

And not that you asked, but just in case you're wondering: I'm Mark Mayfield, a model rocketeer since 1968, former editor of several national home design magazines (House Beautiful, Traditional Home, Southern Accents) and a member of the original start-up staff of USA Today. I'm also an avid collector of vintage model rockets and publications, and I've met some of you through that endeavor over the years. Also like some of you, I have been a member of the NAR off and on for 30 years and recently joined again.

Sorry for the long post here but I wanted you to know about the new magazine's emphasis on vintage rocketry, and I encourage any of you who would like to contribute ideas, articles or photos to future issues to contact me. And just as an fyi, we don't consider ourselves a competitor to Sport Rocketry: In fact, we're both running ads in the other's magazines in the September/October issues, and as I said earlier, we're a sponsor at NARAM and fully support NAR.

Cheers,
Mark