View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
At the risk of starting trouble, for which I'm in the mood , I'm listing some of the doo-dads and habits common in this hobby for which I have great skepticism of their net benefits.

Baffles:

I like em. But of course, they're not a complete panacea. You still have residue and heat damage that accumulates, and they add weight.

Quote:
Fancy motor retaining hardware (eg, Aero Pack):

Agreed.

Quote:
Tapered fins:

I assume you're dumping rounded and airfoiled fins in with them.
I still prefer them cause they just look cooler.

Quote:
Long shock cords:

Somewhat with ya on this, as far as the extreme is concerned. Two or three times body length is plenty, but the CW around here is "if theres still room in your chute compartment, you aren't using enough shock cord."

Quote:
Clear coats: Over decals? Sure.

But if you don't put it over everything, it's probably gonna look ugly at some point. Either use it all over or don't use it at all.

Quote:
Q2G2 ignitors: They're awesome. Best commercial ignitor ever for air-starts. But they're not an absolute necessity for ground-started clusters.

Sure, but doesn't matter. If I have the Q2G2s for a cluster, I'm gonna use them before I use Solars. Of course, I was here when Langford first put SureShots to AG-1's and we were flying 20 - 100 motor clusters out on I-85 in Doraville. It got to be where some of our club members were using flashbulbs regularly for single motors!