Thread: New Estes Ad
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 02:34 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I was hoping they were going to do it in the 4" HD tubing of the Mega Der Red Max.
Something "H" capable.

The lack of a Nylon Chute of AT LEAST 24" really STINKS.
Cheap plastic Chutes on big rockets are LOUSY. Having to add $15+ to the price to outfit it with a decent chute makes it a kit I won't buy...

I was all set to buy the Skylab Saturn V when it was originally announced it would contain the parts to make it a "manned mission" Apollo Saturn V. Now I'm most likely not buying it unless I find a really good price.

Unless Estes starts making motors with more power than the current BP 29mm motors I think the possibility of 4” diameter PSII kits or the use of plywood for fins and centering rings is about zero. The last three PSII kits - Star Orbiter, Super Big Bertha and Doorknob - were all specifically designed to be safely flyable on adapted 24mm E and F BP motors and the 3” DBRM follows suite. There are plenty of people making MPR/HPR kits out there that are better than the best “golden age” PSII kits plus Toby Vanderbeek is happy to sell all the MDRMs, Leviathans, Ventrii, Partizons etc... rockets anyone cares to buy.

I do find the plastic rather than nylon chute disappointing. As far as the peel and stick decals it really depends on the quality - the ones that came with my Quest Mean Green are quite good, almost to the level of cut vinyl.