View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I sent an email two months ago to WM headquarteers, not only about rockets, but, other item that they continually are out of, and, these are top selling items that they should have in stock.
In another thread, it was mentioned that things aren't the same since Sam W died. That makes sense. Interestingly enough, this is the kind of behavior I saw at K-Mart over the years which I attribute to their slow demise. They would have peghooks that remained empty - out of stock - for months at a time, and over a year in one case that I made particular effort to note.

Quote:
In my opinion, WM needs someone in their purchasing department who is somewhat familiar with model rockets.
My take is that the lack of enforced discipline at the checkout aisle has a lot to do with this. As RD and Fred S have both pointed out, in many cases they ring up a quantity under one UPC when in fact it may be 4 or more different UPCs mixed together - eg, A10-3Ts, C6-3s, C6-5s and C6-7s.

No matter how good the purchasing department, if the data going to marketing is skewed by the checkout process, then they will continue to have the wrong products on the shelf.

I don't wish to add extra burden to the checkers - they're trying to keep the line moving - ie, trying to provide good service - but if they don't cull like products, then they'll be creating incorrect point-of-sale summaries which then throw off the purchasing/marketing groups.

Doug