View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Dave,

Me too. That's what got me to start this post. I haven't seen the SS1s in Launchables format for almost a year. And now there are lots of them, during the winter, and at clearance prices. That's a heck of a lot of kit for $7.

The Space Ship Ones always disappeared almost immediately every time they were put out in their previous appearance, so it would make sense to bring them back. The other kits with them aren't the X-Prize Launchables I would expect if it was old stock, but instead the Bullpup (a longtime apparently very popular Launchable), Bandito (almost RTF easy builder), and Hi-Fliers Launchable (best value for the money of any Estes offering ever).

I bet they could fit the Red Max in a Launchables box. Think they'd sell a few?

They should also bring back the Skywriter in the Launchables pack.

I wish they would get the Star Chaser Thunderstar X-Prize kit in the Launchable format; I wanted to get one for a Regional meet last June at JSC to enter for the Future Scale/Science Fiction event, but couldn't find a single one at any of the Hobby Lobby's/Wal-Mart's/Michael's. So I "settled" with the last Gauchito kit I remembered seeing on the shelf at the same Wal-Mart I went to this morning; only this time, I redid the Gauchito from a single engine power to four engine cluster and gave it the "correct" finish to match with the data I had.

You can see a separate thread regarding this project (Gauchito) and plenty of pics here:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/fo...osts=21&start=1

We have several other Wal-Marts in the area I live, so hopefully by the end of this week I'll
have the chance to take a look at them, too.