View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Launching since 1970.

I called our club electrical guru and he said he got an inexpensive high output LED, a socket and then tried various resistors until he got the current down to 20ma. So our club panel now is extremely safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
All the motor packs from Quest that include the new igniters that I have gotten include clear instructions warning you about use of other brands of controllers and the possibility that their continuity light current will fire the Q2G2 igniters.

I looked up recently old e-mail on this subject and our club president measured the current that our club panel with small computer console lamp delivered for continuity. It was 103ma and only a few of the Q2G2 igniters were observed to fire from this current - a fairly small percentage. Our new LED light delivers much less current. I will ask our electrical guru what he measured (probably by phone later today when I get a chance).

I'm not sure I remember hearing what the official "no-fire" current is, but it may be 50ma (this could be confirmed by contacting Quest). I have been told that "The all-fire current on the igniters is very low at 150ma - that's why you get 100% reliability... "