View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Default On the shelf at Hobby Lobby

I was in Hobby Lobby looking at some of the new stuff. What I saw looked like a great step towards mid-power _IF_ they had 24mm motor mounts in them. Otherwise, the were ready to go.

The Cosmic Explorer, $22, is BT-55, and would make a great high performance D/E rocket with a 24mm MMT in place of the 18. I compare it to the Cherokee-D. A little noseweight might be required.

The Reflector, $25, has a BT-50 lower section transitioning to BT-55 up top. Leave out the 18mm MMT and you've got a great D/E bird. Again, check the CP/CG to be sure.

The Super Neon, $17, is a tube-finned rocket with a BT-50 core tube. Again, leave out the 18mm MMT and you've got a great mid-power, tube-finned bird.

The Satellite Interceptor has lots of fin - it looks draggy - so leaving out the 18mm MMT and stuffing a D or E in the core BT-50 shouldn't pose any problems for stability or recovery (IMO).

Lastly (for the store I was in) the Photon Disruptor had a bottom BT-50 tube which steps up to BT-55. Leave out the 18mm MMT and you've got a great looking but draggy D/E bird.

Doug

YORF member #11