View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 12:03 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I have a few of Boyce's 3D printed rockets and kits (a Cox Nike-Zeus and a Cox 1:125 scale Apollo-Little Joe II, plus a set of SpaceX Falcon 9 first stage landing legs and grid fins). They all require some sanding, but not much. I was just looking at my Boyce Aerospace Hobbies Apollo-Little Joe II, and--although I'd have to examine its surface with a jeweler's loupe (I'll dig out one of my close-up-viewing monoculars in a moment) to be sure--the plastic "thread" forming the parts appears to be about 1/6 of a millimeter (or less) in diameter (I just held a metric tape measure against its parts, and I couldn't tell exactly how many plastic "threads," side-by-side, spanned a millimeter--they are that fine in size). ADDENDUM:

I just tried to count the number of plastic "threads" per millimeter again, using a close-up-view (2x magnification) monocular, and I still couldn't tell exactly how many "threads" span a millimeter. It looked like five or six. In any event, the surfaces of the Boyce Aerospace Hobbies 3D printed rockets aren't very rough, and don't require laborious amounts of sanding.

Thanks for the feedback. They certainly sound reasonably smooth — especially compared to what I’m familiar with just a couple years ago, in terms of printing quality.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp