View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 12:16 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
No update on the Six-Shooter (I'm redesigning) but I do have something else I'm currently building.

I call it the "Sky Breaker" - terrible name I know - but it's essentially a double-length Sunward SkyBender. It'll be about 70" tall and will fly on three D12-5s. I've run it in Rocksim and it says "overstable" and flies to almost 1000 ft.

As soon as I get it built and flown I'll post pictures.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Feyd,

I'm looking the "Sky Breaker" design over, and I've altered the file a bit based on what your 2D line drawing indicated. I hope I'm reading this right - The model is supposed to have the three engine tubes exposed between the forward and aft sections, similar to the Custom Landviper. However, RockSim wasn't behaving properly and was showing a solid tube where it should have been just a "filler".

The new drawing rectifies the problem with a pod for the aft section, and three continuous 36.5" BT-50's for the engine tubes. I included a pair of couplers in each tube to trim out the weight (see the new file).

Either you're a time-tested expert in rocket design and just keeping it a secret, or you're one of the luckiest guesstimators I've seen yet! This new design hits the ULTIMATE SWEET SPOTS for each of the engine combinations in a way I've never experienced by ANY design before.

Also, I trimmed out some mass from the nose cone by reducing the wall thickness down to 0.05", which seems more likely than having it 0.125" thick. This brought the calculated weight down to just under your 'user override' weight. It's still a thick-skinned nose cone.

Specs:

Length: 70.15"
Diameter: 2.6" (BT-80)
Weight: 3.74 oz (empty)
Fin Span: 10.60"

(3) A8-3.........193'......Dv <2 FPS......28" launch guide required
(3) B6-4.........396'......Dv <3 FPS......25" launch guide required
(3) C6-5.........759'......Dv <3 FPS......25" launch guide required
(3) D12-5.......1120'......Dv <1 FPS......26" launch guide required
(3) E9-6........1697'......Dv <1 FPS......31" launch guide required
(3) E15W-7......2087'......Dv <3 FPS......13" launch guide required
(3) F21W-8......2391'......Dv <1 FPS......10" launch guide required

Keep tossing up ideas like this, and you'll get recognized very quickly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SkyBender Upscale Mk II 2D.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  97.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SkyBender Upscale Mk II 3D.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  46.7 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt SkyBender Upscale Mk II.rkt (116.3 KB, 101 views)

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635