View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 08:04 PM
Apollo Nut

The Nashua tape roll photo you attached looks pretty close to the material used for the late 70s Centuri SCFs.

As commented, the material Centuri used over the years changed somewhat. Even the shape of the SCF itself changed some too.

The very first version of the their SCF was a little shorter and a bit wider. These first versions had a top metallic surface with somewhat tight filament lines running through it. These were first used starting sometime in the summer of 1970, best I’ve been able to pinpoint.

By about ‘72, the design had been lengthened a bit and made somewhat more narrow. I think this was done to make it a bit easier to get into smaller body tubes. The material used was a bit different too. The top layer is more of a whitish, paper-like covering, but has a foil layer underneath. The filament lines are there too, and maybe a bit more dense.

By the late 70s, the shape is the same longer, narrower design, but the material is once again a top shiny metallic layer, but the filaments are wider spaced, much like the Nashua tape roll in the large image you attached.

I’ll attach a photo of the three in just a moment.

Earl

...and here's the photo. From left to right: first version, 1970; second version, circa 1972; third version, circa late 70s (didn't have one handy outside the package). The filaments in the paper covered middle version are hard to see, but are maybe a bit more dense than the first version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri SCFs--3533 copy.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  1.41 MB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970