View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Ciderwright

I've only been back into rocketry for about two and a half years, so you can put the appropriate value on my observations. Precious little. But here's my tuppence anyway:

TRF has had some image linking problems lately. As in a complete break down for a few days. I didn't see any 'official' explanation, but from what I gather, there has been a long slow drift downward in ease of posting images. First the loss of the 'insert image' button and a switch to 'manage attachments' (much like here). And then temporary (but total) breakage of that function. It seems to be back and working. I've always posted from the iPhone app, (quite broken - crashes a lot) which is simplicity itself. All the changes have been, ostensibly, security related. Conspiracy theories percolate around. YMMV.

Also recently, Wildman and Loki began openly spatting in a thread. They got timeouts.

My observations about both forums I follow (TRF and YORF) is that each has a core, dedicated membership of folks who love rocketry and have valuable knowledge to share.

TRF gets a steadier flow of traffic - and usually yields more and quicker 'atta boy' posts to people looking for a little applause and validation of their latest efforts. (I count myself in this camp, by the way).

The TRF core includes more HPR people, YORF more modelers. Outside the core, I think they are similar.

Both have active members who love to chew on certain old bones, even if there's no flavor left in them. As a new comer, within a couple months, it becomes pretty apparent what sets people off. If you survive stumbling into the prickly patches (and people) initially, it's not really that hard to just let go and scroll past the rants. Must you must be able to let some things flow past you.

TRF is absolutely paranoid about experimental rocketry topics. Meaning outside commercially made and certified motors. And sometime electronics - depending on just who's talking about them. They allow a couple of people to speak more openly, while really shooting down newbies hard.

Both forums have similar issues with non-rocketry threads. They can be real train wrecks - and like other wrecks, it's hard to look away, even when you know you should. I think the underlying challenge is that folks like to discuss a -wide- variety of topics with people they perceive as having like minds. And they see their fellow rocketeers as like minded. That common interest might not be superficial, but it's certainly not the end of the story. When you multiply that with the old dogs chewing old bones, the prickly people, and the conspiracy minded, and poof, it goes up on you. Being a moderator must be hell. YORF and TRF draw different lines, but both are moderated forums - which people must be reminded of from time to time. TRF seems over-moderated to folks who love that bone. And it's invisible to others. Scott is both more lenient and a saint.

I follow both forums. I get different things out of them. New posts show up on TRF every few minutes most of the time. It's a quick fix for my addiaction. I always port questions and crowing pictures here first. It feels closer to home for me (flying out of Bong).

I'd say TRF is chuffing right now. I don't foresee a CATO, nor a road-flare burnout. But chuffing always gets viewers excited.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!