View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 12:43 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Matt,

Very nice news!!! Very nice!

Orbital, ATK, and Space X should just form one huge company and just get on with it!

Jonathan

I think that sort of defeats the purpose IMHO... competition is a good thing... NASA should be in a "customer" and "advisory" mode only on this... let the companies themselves seek the best way to go forward based on their own strengths and business models. Forcing some type of "integration" onto the companies would stymie the whole affair IMHO...

Personally I'd like to see NASA out of the rocket design business altogether. If/when SLS implodes or is canceled (which I consider at least a 50-50 proposition before it ever flies) then I think ultimately things will turn out that way... ESPECIALLY if commercial providers are successful in launching resupply to the ISS, and well on their way if not successfully launching crews to LEO as well... once commercial has proven itself capable of design and operation of resupply/crew transport, I think there will be little motivation to keep NASA designing overpriced HLV's clinging to the old shuttle hardware... Honestly it would be better to simply contract out the HLV development as a clean-sheet operation anyway, from a long-term standpoint...

Later! OL JR