View Single Post
Old 07-04-2022, 10:13 AM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

For over the past year, for internet access, I have been using a Verizon data-only plan, on an iPad with a SIM card. 4G LTE.

No limit or throttling on the The iPad itself. So I’ve used the iPad for streaming movies/TV shows, video, and other things where I mostly watch or look up, but do not need to do much typing (other than to navigate) or transfer files (I hate typing on tablets and phones). I use an Apple HDMI dongle to hook up to a computer monitor, and also at times to a small TV on my rocket build table. Also got a sound bar for better louder sound, using bluetooth.

I use the Hotpot capability for transferring files, typing messages, and other things that I want to use a “real computer” for, mostly my Laptop. The Verzion plan has up to 15 gigs a month for hotspotting. When the 15 gigs are up, it is throttled.

It worked sort of OK but at times has been slow. The one big plus is that I’ve taken the iPad with me on car trips to be able to use the internet, without needing to stop near some place with WiFi. My Cellphone is on a prepaid plan as a phone, NO data.

Well, recently due to other issues, the reception has dropped to 1 or 2 bars (never was above 3 bars, but then never was down to 1 bar). With one bar, it barely can load a web page and sometimes won’t. With two bars, it loads the internet, but sorta slowly. And streaming TV shows/videos, it sometimes does not load or there are data dropouts.

But this message sets the stage. FINALLY in my area, T-Mobile’s 5G Home Internet became available. I had been wanting that more to save $ than anything else, at $50, cheaper than Verizon. I got it a few days ago. The only wiring involved is to plug the power adapter into the wall outlet, and the other end into the WiFi Gateway.

Using a special App to set it up, the set-up was easy and it was working in about 15 minutes.

It is working very well. 5G reception at first was 3 bars (Plenty fast for me) , but the last 2 days has stayed at 4 bars. Things load quickly and well. No dropouts.

On my Macbook:
Meter.net shows ping of 34 msec, download of 38.76 mb/sec, upload of 18.92 mbps.

Internet Speed test shows download of 196.2, and upload of 26.
I could not get my Macbook to Hotspot with the iPad with iPad using Verizon 4G, it jumps right to T-Mobile 5G.

On the iPad using T-Mobile 5G:
20.9 download, upload of 28.2
On the iPad, 2 bars, using Verizon 4G LTE:
2.74 download, .04 upload.

A different speed test site, “highspeedinternet.com” :

IPad on Verizon 4G LTE: Ping 140 ms, download of 2.03 mbps

Same iPad on T-Mobile 5G: Ping 46 ms, download of 140.44 mbps

So, I am VERY pleased at how well the T-Mobile home internet works. Great performance, at a great price. And no more “hotspotting” data caps. I have all my computer stuff and phone using real WiFi now.

I realize this is not a good solution for those in areas that do not have that service available yet. But for those who do have it available, this is a great option.

I’ll be cancelling the Verizon 4G LTE plan. It’s paid up till near the end of the month, and I wanted to be able to use it on the road going NARAM and back.

I googled to find out if the T-Mobile Gateway can be used on trips. The “official” answer is no, that it is programmed to work only in the GPS location it is approved for. But it seems others have been able to do so on cross-country trips, that T-Mobile has not closed that technical loophole yet. Or at least had not as of the time those messages were posted. And of course, a lot of areas do not have 5G service (at least away from densely populated areas).

Update - I needed to do some stuff with my car outside, about 100 feet way. Wanted to listen to a podcast as I did it, but not take the iPad in 4G mode. So I used my cellphone, and had no problems with receiving WiFi from the 5G Gateway.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer