View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 11:43 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Yesterday I realized just how strong the sanding sealers really are. I'm using Brodak now, and think its pretty comparable to Aerogloss, which I haven’t used (or seen in hobby stores here) for years.

Normally I’m sealing some balsa fins on a relatively small rocket. Or maybe just a nose cone. The jar is open a few minutes, and the amount brushed on is pretty small. I’ve never noticed a lingering smell when I return to my basement rocket room. Yesterday I applied sanding sealer to an Estes Phoenix and an upscale Skyhook (using 2.5” Panavia, with replacement basswood fins). That is a LOT of surface area! I used a wide brush, so the coats went on quickly, and the jar wasn’t open very long, so I didn’t really notice the smell. But when I went back to my rocket room later, I was surprised by the overwhelming smell. I opened the adjoining wood shop’s window, moved the rockets into the wood shop next to the window, and ran a house fan pointed outside to clear the air. The shop has doors to close it off, and the smell was gone when I checked a few hours later.

I need to change my habits. I’ll be doing sealing outside, or out in the garage, for anything large. If I seal anything small inside, I’ll start using the wood shop with fan running, and I’ll make sure I close the shop doors.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp