Thread: New Altimeter
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2021, 10:32 PM
Master Modeler

Chas,

The minimum you need is a Comp, a compatible single-cell LiPoly and a means to safely charge that cell. This is pretty much the same as with the Adrel, save that the Adrel’s charger is also the USB data interface.

The 9mAh cell FlightSketch sells will run a Comp for several hours, but finding a charger for it, beyond the one FlightSketch sells, could be a challenge since it’s so tiny. Their charger itself is powered off a USB source….so you could power it anywhere that you can charge a Chute Release. I’ve been using a prototype charger that only has one charge rate…it also has a micro USB socket on it for input. The cable that came with your Chute Release will work.

Operationally, the FlightSketch app can’t tell the Mini from the Comp - they work exactly the same way once turned on (for the Comp, by plugging in the power cell).

Russ is even selling a pigtail with the plug that mates to the socket on the Comp if you have your own cell already.

Feel free to ask more questions. I’ve been flying FS devices for a couple of years and have been flying a prototype Comp for over a year so have had a little experience with them.

I ordered another Comp and one of the production chargers, so will have it in hand in a few days (ETA is Monday the 28th) and can report from direct experience then.

Added later: I see your Nike-Smoke flight in the online log here: https://flightsketch.com/flights/2559/

Some thoughts - it looks as if the Mini was either out in the breeze/sun after deployment or rattling around in a payload section. Also, it looks as if either you had a very reluctant ‘chute or you used a Chute Release at 300 feet. I don’t know what’s the reason for that big downward spike (so sudden pressure drop) at 10 seconds….since the accelerometer data shows no big hit at that time. Maybe sun exposure?

From the acclerometer data I’m thinking you flew it on some kind of composite motor with about a 1s burn time, but I can’t guess which one (well, maybe - single grain 29mm CTI Smoky Sam - an F36?). The actual delay looks to have been almost exactly six seconds.

I also see you posted the flight twice….it seems like lots of folks do that, especially at first. You can go onto the web site and delete the unlabeled one (https://flightsketch.com/flights/2558/) and also add more info and pictures to the other entry if you want to.

I find it really interesting to look at others’ flight data, and the FS Flight Log is by far the easiest way to share that data.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE