View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 07:20 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Baffles: I've never used one. I've always thought they were a solution in search of a problem. Saving a few pieces of treated toilet paper...well, it ain't much of a savings. And, I'm pretty sure they don't really keep all the burn off the chutes all the time. Right?

Dog barf is cheap. One almost cannot give the stuff away fast enough.

Quote:
Fancy motor retaining hardware (eg, Aero Pack): How hard is it to cook up a couple of Kaplow clips? If you're losing motors due to retention issues, maybe you need to take some remedial rocketry classes

Pretty if you can afford it, but you have to remember to use JB Weld and thoroughly clean the motor tube.

Quote:
Long shock cords: Whoever came up with the foul notion that making the shock cord longer solves the problem of high speed deployment needs to take a high school course in physics. If your rocket is plunging toward the earth at 400mph, I don't care if the shock cord is 300 feet long, when the rocket gets to the end of the cord, there's gonna be one heckuva a jerk on the airframe, the suspension lines and the recovery harness. You can quote me on that.

Longer shock cords give more room to install masking tape shock absorbers.

Quote:
Q2G2 ignitors: They're awesome. Best commercial ignitor ever for air-starts. But they're not an absolute necessity for ground-started clusters. I've lit many clusters using plain old Solar ignitors, and had excellent results getting all motors lit most of the time, and never had an ignitor related failure. Us old far...timers remember that before Solars, we had nichrome and crap - those were the two choices. Solars were a light years-ahead improvement. Now, 30-some years later, they're still a danged fine ignitor, and all that's needed most of the time.

I have come to the same conclusion and will have to try extending Solar igniter leads with wire-wrap wire. The Q2G2s will be saved for electronic staging.

Bill