View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdros
I emailed Jim Neubauer to see if he still makes the wraps and what they might cost.

Don't forget that Jim's wraps are for a 2.6" pseudo upscale Orion. They are correct in size vertically, but he added an extra chunk to it to go all the way around the 2.6" tube. You will be able to see the added material and you can cut that off to make the correct size. I have three of his wraps. Like I mentioned above, they are bumpy due to the vacuum holes. They are also slightly curved/warped as you will be able to see if you put a straightedge at the bottom of the corrugations. They won't be perfect, but with some patience and work with an X-acto and some sandpaper, you will get a nice model.

DaveR and Barone saw both my Enerjet Athena where I used one of Jim's wraps, and Kody's Orion with the scratch built wraps based on the Little Joe wraps. I think they will agree that his wraps were cleaner looking. There are only two advantages to Jim's styrene wraps. 1. The small bits are already made. 2. The corrugations are deeper and easier to see from a distance, although they are over scaled compared to a real rocket's corrugations. That could be a negative, according to your sense of scale vs. visibility.