Thread: Super Sky Hook
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 10:05 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
The big X-Ray looks great Lee. Always loved the X-Ray. What type of glue did you use for the fin fillets that dries in that dark brown color or is that a filler that you added to epoxy?

Steve,

A good friend built the X-Ray in the late 90s. He had it sitting in the attic of his machine shop. We were up in the attic about a year ago looking for something and I saw the X-Ray. I hadn’t seen it in over 20 years. It is in great shape, was hardly even dusty. He gave it to me and said he’d like to see it finished. I’m finally getting around to it.

Regarding the epoxy, it’s a clear red color. I seem to recall some epoxies we used back then having a distinct color. Maybe it was to identify different cure times? I just don’t remember.

I have discovered that the body tube is a couple inches too long, as is the clear payload tube, by about 4 inches. He may have done that on purpose, to balance the look, since the nose cone is also too long. The Estes 3” cone is close to a perfect scaleup, so I’ll use one, and cut down the tubes.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp